icon

viper 791xv has shut down my durango

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kazeej 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  

2000 Dodge Durango Sport with a Viper 791XV w/remote start has been acting up for a while, and now my truck won't start at all.

A couple of months ago, the remote start would start the truck, but the brake would not cancel it. A few times it refused to start, but when it did start, it ran fine. A few weeks ago, I drove it about 10 miles, and parked it. Now it won't start. It cranks, but won't fire. If it does fire, it dies immediately. And the alarm had stopped arming. 

I pulled the alarm out from under the dash and found 4 wires loose. One was the power - reconnected that, and the alarm started working again. I don't know where the other 3 go. They are orange, brown, and BLACK/ white.  Can someone tell me where these wires go? or point me in the right direction? It was installed by BestBuy. I would just take it back to them, but I'd have to tow the truck there.

Thanks in advance!

Jack

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,608
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

The immobiliser circuit of that alarm, only interrupts the starter, unless additional relays were used to interrupt other circuits, (hardly likely), as i know it's not practice in the states to interrupt fuel and ignition circuits! And also because you have the orange wire loose (GWA).

On this system there are two BLACK/ white and brown wires!

The black white on the H1 harness is the dome light trigger wire, the one on the smaller harness is the nss wire, this is supposed to be grounded, directly or through a switch

The brown on the H1 harness is the siren's positive feed, the brown on the harness with the nss wire is the brake shutdown wire (+).

Do you have a factory immobiliser?

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  
Do the factory keys have a black plastic head or gray?
If it's gray, then you have Chrysler's Sentry Key anti theft system, and the problem could be there, or possibly with how the remote starter was interfaced to it.
bambam3030 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2010 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
It sounds like a car problem if you have the alarm unpluged but it might be a factory anti theft system if you have a gray key. If so you should be able to remove it from around your key cilinder its just a ruber ring and follow it down and unplug it from the bypass modual along with the other harness. then if that doesnt work it is yor car.
bam
kazeej 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  

The brown wire I found had pulled loose from the brake switch. It's connected now. The BLACK/ white was indeed grounded. It was jumpered to the main ground on another conntector.

I don't  think the orange was actually used. When I found it, it was taped to the red (12+) wire, but it did not appear to have been stripped. I think it was just taped out of the way.

I don't have any kind of factory immobilizer. In fact, the key I have been using was made an the local Home Depot.

I talked to my installer. He said putting it in valet mode would remove the alarm system from the equation, or I could try removing all the fuses. I tried both, and the truck didn't start. I think I have ruled out the alarm system. I pulled a spark plug to check for spark (which I should have done a long time ago) and it was wet with fuel - no spark. I think my problem lies elsewhere.

Thanks for the great advice. If / when I get this truck running again, I'll post what I found.

Jack

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic