icon

sealing fiberglass enclosure

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bullyx2 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2010 at 5:37 PM / IP Logged  

Hi. This is probably a really dumb question but I have never used fiberglass before. I have been wanting to learn and I think this tiny project I have is a simple first step to get familiar with mixing resin. I have a custom fiberglass enclosure that I had built for the corner of my trunk. The car was recently in an accident so I pulled the enclosure while the car is being repaired, I am replacing the sub in it and think I'd like to make sure that it is properly sealed while it's out of the car and not in use. I am almost positive it is, but I am guessing this cant hurt. The front, top, and bottom of the enclosure is MDF, while the rear is fiberglass. What I am reading is that I should be able to mix up a small batch of resin, pour some into the corners/seams of the enclosure, and move the box around so it pools up in there until drying. I should be able to do this again for each seam. Is that all correct? I plan to test this in an old MDF enclosure first before trying it on my fiberglass one.

Also, I probably do not need much for this. Do most local stores sell the resin in smaller amounts or is a gallon the smallest size usually available?

Thanks in advance.

sealing fiberglass enclosure - Last Post -- posted image.

dman007 
Copper - Posts: 106
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  

To test how good the seal is, when the woofer is installed.  Depress the cone carefully, after pushing it in, it should slowly spring back.  If it springs back as soon as you release it, then its not sealed correctly.

As far as sealing procedure, you can do it that way.  But you cannot just use resin alone, you need some fiberglass mat to hold the resin in place.

Home depots here in NY sell resins in 2 sizes the gallon and one smaller, not sure exactly size maybe a quart....

DTS Performance
St Petersburg, FL
bullyx2 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: March 05, 2010 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

Cool, thanks. I actually went by Lowes last night and they had Elmer's resin by the quart. Didn't buy it as wanted to see what other places had. I am in Florida and close to the water so lots of marine supply places around. Have just always wanted to learn to fiberglass but was either to scared to take on a "real" project or too cheap to risk it failing. I figured I am in no rush here as the car is in the shop, and I have the box out and plan to recarpet it since I am going to be enlarging the hole, this is probably a good way to play around a bit and get a feel for the materials.

That all being said, if you look close at the pic, you'll notice that there's a ring that raises the sub a tiny bit. Sub is fairly deep so assuming they did that to fix a clearance issue behind the driver. I am going to a shallow mount 12" so I am going to need to remove what is left of that ring after enlarging the hole. (going to make sure I can before cutting) If I am not going to be able to remove it, I will then be taking on a "real" project and making a new enclosure for the new sub. Fun Fun

silentblackhat 
Copper - Posts: 138
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2010 at 12:37 AM / IP Logged  
dman007 wrote:

To test how good the seal is, when the woofer is installed.  Depress the cone carefully, after pushing it in, it should slowly spring back.  If it springs back as soon as you release it, then its not sealed correctly.

Actually quite the opposite is true. If it springs back slowly, that means that there is a leak and the reason why it springs back slowly is because the inside of the box is waiting for the sub to leak back in.
If it is properly sealed, you should feel resistance (without the speaker cone sinking in). If you are able to push the cone in without resistance, then you know its not sealed properly.
nismo542 
Copper - Posts: 62
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2010 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
you can use a mixture of resin and fiberglass filler.  after mixing the resin with its hardener, mix the filler with its hardener.  then mix the two together.  this mixture can be made as thin or thick as needed and can also be applied with a brush.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic