amp wiring laws and why to go bigger?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
zappo90744 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 10:22 AM / IP Logged  

raydawg357 wrote:
If he still doesn't get your point, go buy him a thick milk shake and give him a mix drink stirring straw to drink it with.  Different analogy, same principal.

Couldn't agree more.

boostedkreation 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks a bunch guys for all the info. Its funny you referred to the exhaust issue cause me and him have had that debate as well! He thinks the bigger isn't better... i told him it honestly debates on the point of what the application is. and I tried the garden hose effect but to no avail. So this should help out a lot better.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 15, 2010 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
He's probably oldskool....
For exhausts, bigger isn't better - until you go bigger again....
Based on what a guru once said to me....
The calcs for exhaust performance (extractors etc) involve exponentials etc. They are curves that vary with differing setups (ie, height, peaks, troughs, the number of peaks etc).
Anyhow, this took place in the dark ages when people were not only dumber, but lacked computers (I jest - only the latter is true).
So computations were complex....
They would solve a given system and find that a 2-1/2" exhaust was the lowest impedance (whatever). Increasing to 2-3/4", 3" etc made things worse. Hence the conclusion "bigger isn't always better".
The problem was, they would have found that maybe 6" and 12-1/4" were other solutions....
These days the mathematical technique of differentiation is used
to find where the highs (or lows) are. You then solve that equation to find when it equals zero. (Because differentiating something is to find its rate of change or gradient, and the gradient at max & mins is zero. Same as distance - velocity - acceleration.)
Or we just plug the values in to a computer and see the displayed solutions.....
And of course there is the same old same-old....
Our equations are only models - they are NOT the real thing. (I love it when someone says it can't be done because the model doesn't fit, yet they are staring at the impossibility. I think those infinite and macro lenses fitted that - ie, they broke Lenses Law (1/f = ...) - they are the lenses that show an ant eating up close yet the distant mountain all in focus...)
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic