the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

astrostart fried?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2010 at 5:22 PM / IP Logged  
I had person come into the shop today with an old remote starter installed and they were saying that the van would not shut off after removing the key. They also said they smelled something burning. The unit is an old Astrostart 2106 and I am pretty familiar with them but I think the unit is fried. The transmitter does nothing and when I put on either dipswitch 7 or 8 the LED comes on solid and pressing the brake to reset or program new remotes does nothing. I did not have time to take the car apart and look at the wiring closer, so I have rescheduled them to come back. Any idea how to tell if the unit is dead?
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,419
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 10, 2010 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  
kind of dumb question but did you check to see if the starter is getting a brake signal. That would cause the starter not to shut down and would also not allow you to program it
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks, I did test the brake wire since my first inclination after hearing that the car would not shut down after removing the key and that the main switch did shut it down. The brake wire tests properly. Also, the keyless entry does not work either.
Thanks again
alarep5 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 11, 2010 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

There could be a shorted or bare wire touching an ignition wire. Seen that a time or two. Or one of the internal relays could be bad.

I had one just yesterday with a bad P5 relay. The second accy would stay on keeping the radio on.

Not very common though. I have seen a couple stay off or not engage, but this is the first  in 9 years, I've seen one stay on. Astro warranty.

Can't blade GOOD product with BAD installation.

OLDSCHOOL - If the wire is there,...use it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic