icon

alpine subs getting hot

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kicker96 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2010 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

hey everyone i just had a question i recently just put a new system in 2 15" alpine type R's in a custom box ported to 39hz on a kicker zx 1000.1 amp, and i have had them for about 2 weeks going easy on em and today i was burpin them pretty loud and after about 5 mins of that i went back and touched the cone and it was not hot but very warm, my previous system was 2 12" kicker L5's on that same amp and even at high volumes they never got as warm as my new alpines were, what gives? any suggestion?

thanks colin

livin loud
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 6:34 AM / IP Logged  
heat is a normal by-product of power.  If you did not feel any warmth before, I would have to guess that the ambient temp was a bit cooler than it is now.  It is normal for the voice coil to get warm.
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
It  may also be that the other speakers had larger voice coils to dissipate more heat or had a better cooling system than your current speakers. In all cases though, you are going to get heat. Keep going on the path you are on though and you are going to be buying new speakers soon....
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
Forbidden: by saying that I'll presume you meant the change to the new speaker's may have created more of a "incompatibility" to the system then a upgrade.
That being said, doubling up on power...... retrofit..... sound deadening.....
Oh BTW, despite the warm cone, how is the sound?
This is what I do for FUN!
kicker96 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2010 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
i think they sound awesome man definitely glad i got rid of my 2 12" L5's for my type r 15's i like the 15's cuz when it hits low you hear it alot more, and they still will hit quite hit to i was suprised, not sure what it will meter at but in the next couple weeks i'll probably get a hold of a meter and see what they hit but overall couldn't be happier with them.  now if only they made 15 inch type x's
livin loud

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic