icon

circuit that supplys voltage when 12v removed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
trekkerjmm 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Hi . I am a new member to the forum and have been around electronics for many years but need a little help with this one. I did a search and looked through all the relays I found on the website but cant find what I'm looking for. I am looking for a relay that will supply 12v to a buzzer when 12v is removed. What I want to do is when my fog lights are on I want a reminder that they are on when 12v is removed (shut off key. I have a buzzer that I want to energize. Something similar to a headlight or door open buzzer. Thanks...Tj
        As Always Thx for the help...Tj
Ween 
Platinum - Posts: 1,364
Platinum spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  

hi,

you'll need a relay (spdt bosch type will be fine).  connect the positive side of your buzzer to your fog lights (+ term). connect the negative side to NC (term 87a) of the relay.  connect ground to C (term 30) and coil-(term 85).  connect ignition to coil+ (term 86).  the relay will give a ground to the buzzer only when the ignition is off, and the foglights will supply power when the are on. 

or

you could just have your switch that triggers the fog lights or fog light relay connect to ignition, then they'll turn off with the key.

m

trekkerjmm 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 22, 2010 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you very much. I will build it tonight...Tj
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
You can do it without any relays- if your buzzer is low current (I'll assume you're not going to use a car horn or anything extreme like that)
you can just connect it with a diode in series between the fog light power and ignition circuit.
When the ignition is off, it'll provide a virtual ground, and if your fog light is on, it'll provide 12V. The 12V through the diode will buzz your buzzer until you switch the fog lights off.
The diode is to prevent your buzzer from going off when you have the ignition on and the fog lights off.
trekkerjmm 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2011 at 12:53 PM / IP Logged  

Hi I had asked a question a long time ago on building a circuit to remind me when I leave my fog lights on with a standard relay for switching and you were very helpful but I lost the diagram and need to make another one.

I have a 12+ wire running off the fog lights and it went to the center of the relay (#87a) and I want the buzzer to go on when I shut the ignition off so I know they were left on and I want the buzzer off when 12+ gets put to it. I had it working great but someone took my console out and disconnected everything. There are 3 or 4 wires running to it if that helps...Thx

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2011 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
Why a relay? 12v+ power to fog lights, join and take to pos side of buzzer, neg side to driver's door switch, assuming the pin is a switched negative.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2011 at 5:05 PM / IP Logged  
Buzzer to #87a (other end GND)
+12V to #30.
#85 to GND
#86 to the switched +12V (the one that when off, you want buzzer on).
But you shoud also be able to connect the (low current) buzzer with +ve to +12V and its -ve to that same switched source (#86 above) - hence saving the relay. (Assumes low current buzzer -say 250mA or less....)
mtrhd329 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2011 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

N-66.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2011 at 6:38 PM / IP Logged  
Finally n-66 and I thought the answer was 42.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2011 at 8:30 PM / IP Logged  
42 was the original answer. It's a different question this time.
And yes, my answer/reply above is the same as yours. (The old "using load as an earth/ground" or "virtual connection" solution - brilliant, yet so often overlooked!)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic