icon

pre amp output voltage, big difference?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdlwate357 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2010 at 9:12 PM / IP Logged  
My head unit only has 2 volt pre amp outputs. How big of a difference would it make if I install a head unit with 5 volt pre outs ? I have an Infinity 1600a witch is 600w RMS to a JL w3v2. The gain is almost all the way up and it hits HARD and has suprisingly great sound quality for a class D. Anyway, would the 5 volt outputs give a noticeable power increase or am I misunderstanding the purpose of 5 volt preouts ? Please help....My finger is on the "buy now" button for a new head unit !!!!
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2010 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  
By moving to 5v and adjusting your gains accordingly, the would be little to no difference.  If you donot reset the gains, it will be louder but you may clip the amp.  The main reason for higher voltage output is to reduce induced noise in the preouts.
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
If you are running a full range four channel amp you will also notice an improvement in dynamic range. One other thing to take into account is the fact that the further the signal needs to travel the less signal you will actually have less by the time it reaches you amp! Granted you may stand to gain quite a bit by upgrading the radio(ie. bluetooth, better ipod control, better EQ's and X-Overs) but if you have a resonably current radio you may wanna consider adding a component line driver (ie.Audiocontrol Matrix)!!!
there can be only one.......
bayssmekanique 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
mdlwate357, I hate to say it, but your post makes me fear for your system.
- I've never seen a system that required the gain to be at Max level, and if so, you have something horribly wrong going on (that a higher voltage isn't going to fix)
- Class D amps have sounded good for a few years now, despite what people argue, there is more distortion introduced by the POC sub usually running off the amp, than the class D amp is producing.
- Modern stereos usually have a balanced signal output. Meaning that both the center and outer ring of the RCA cable has a signal coming across it. The signals are inverted, so they create a parity effect, which helps to prevent distortion from entering the stream, but this usually results in a lower voltage signal (say 2.5v instead of 5). Many stereos manufacturers who are trying to push product by slapping big numbers on their boxes will skip the parity effect, and simply run 5v down the center post, and use the outer ring as a common (ground or line level), which has a similar effect, and your amp sees it the same, but it doesn't have quite the same parity effect, since it is more prone to distortion from the either circuit board.
** So in short, don't worry about switching out your deck for something with 5v preouts, you're better off with a good brand that doesn't throw around numbers.
mdlwate357 
Member - Posts: 34
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 6:00 PM / IP Logged  

Quality over quantity..... I feel ya. I just switched from the infinity 1600a to an Alpine m850 and the extra 200 w made a good difference in powe, but I think the Infinity definately has the upper hand in the sound quality department. so I think Im gonna go with a good EQ AND TUNE IT IN. hOWEVER,,, MY GAIN IS STILL UP ALMOST ALL THE WAY AND LIKE BEFORE IF YOU TURN IT BELOW 3/4 IT'S A,

LMOST LIKE THERE'S NO AMP AT ALL....wth ?????

roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  

Compare voltage output of a radio like what a turbo can do for a car, stronger and cleaner signal at 5-8volts can achieve the same power with an amp at 50% gain than a radio at 2volts at 75% gain, also less strain on the amplifier, also never run an amp at full gain, there will be a higher risk for amp failure or could allow a higher distortion output to speakers causing them to blow.

Chadillac
audiocableguy 
Copper - Posts: 630
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2010 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
www.bcae1.com/gaincon2.htm

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic