icon

2002 chevy tahoe radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jboi403 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 4:20 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2002 Chevy Tahaoe with On star and no bose system. My question is do i need to puchase an integration harness because of my onstar or can i use a regular harness to connect an aftermarket headunit. Some people are telling me i must because if not the engine light will appear others say if you dont care about onstar then go with a standard harness.

Thank you in advance.

roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
If you dont care about retaining onstar you can use the standard harness without a problem, although you may need to run a new acc/switch (red wire on radio) to the ignition harness or fuse panel, newer gm models usually only have a 5 volt factory switch wire, hope this helps
Chadillac
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
I second roadshops post
mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2010 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
I disagree with this. The 02 tahoe will not need an accy wire ran. You also won't be able to retain onstar, because of the digital conversion that happened a year or so ago. You can just wire up a normal wiring harness and the radio will work fine. Now if this Tahoe is an '03, that changes everything.
Roadshop - The newer gm's don't use a 5 volt switch wire. They use a data bus system to turn the radio on. The wire will test at 5 volts dc, but in reality its is a data communication line.
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2010 at 10:09 AM / IP Logged  

Wasnt exactly sure which year needed to run acc, didnt think about data bus, good info to have, thx mobile1

Chadillac
jboi403 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2010 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you very much for the info everyone.
steezs 
Copper - Posts: 172
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2010 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
The accessory wire is extinct. Good bye precious accessory wire we'll miss you.
the duce
another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM / IP Logged  
mobile1 wrote:
I disagree with this. The 02 tahoe will not need an accy wire ran. You also won't be able to retain onstar, because of the digital conversion that happened a year or so ago. You can just wire up a normal wiring harness and the radio will work fine. Now if this Tahoe is an '03, that changes everything.
Roadshop - The newer gm's don't use a 5 volt switch wire. They use a data bus system to turn the radio on. The wire will test at 5 volts dc, but in reality its is a data communication line.
ditto to what mobile 1 said. there will be a switched wire behind the deck and you don't need to worry about the retaining the onstar cause it doesn't work anyway unless they were able to upgrade your unit for the digi conversion. usually you have to tie the new radio's amp turn on to the pink wire in the small secondary (onstar) harness

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic