icon

sound deadening

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
spmpdr 
Copper - Posts: 456
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2010 at 4:38 PM / IP Logged  
Im thinking about deadening the floor and firewall of my 2003 ram reg cab truck.The engine and road noise from under the truck is pretty loud inside the cab.I was wondering if i could use some sound board like the type you would use in a home.It is 1/2" thick.My plan would be to cover the floor and fire wall in sound board then cover that with some MLV (mass loaded vinyl).If that wont work could someone recommend a good closed cell foam that is affordable?Should I also deaden the underside of my truck where my exhuast routes with some MLV or something?
-A vision without a plan is just a hallucination-
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2010 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
i have never used the MLV material before so i'm not sure how well they work, sorry.
are these cheaper than Dynamat?
I've used Dynamat on the firewall with great success to quiet those noisy diesels.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 10:11 AM / IP Logged  
I've tried some of that thicker matting before and was not satisfied with the results. Dynamat Extreme is expensive, but it is a superior product. The adhesion to the surface is part of the magic. It should be heated with a hair dryer and spread thoroughly to a clean surface...you have to gut the entire interior for best results... applied correctly it responds to sound and vibration... well worth the money and effort... I used 5 18"x36" sheets Dyn Ext and 8 cans of undercoat on interior body... each interior door panel is sprayed with a can of undercoat and each door got 1 sheet 18x36 DE. I have no rattle and barely any vibration. Like a limo..
This is what I do for FUN!
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
thanks guys for the input ,the rest of my truck is deadened,im a a tight budget and so i was going to use the soundboard left over from a project i did a couple years ago in between sheets of e - dead wich is a knock off of dynamt if your not familiar with it.It is 20.00 for 20 sq ft.Should i just scrap this project for now and save for dynamt extreme or does this sound like it will provide some satisfyin results?total cost of my project to do this now will be about 40.00 and some labor so hard not to be tempted to try!!!
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
Step 1 is DOORS.
Step 2 Floors and firewall
step 3 roof
step 4 engine hood
in order of importance in my humble opinion.
If I were you i'd say go with what you got, its not going to hurt your project.
Just be realistic in the expected results.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
Honestly, I only used the D-extreme because it was donated by a generous organization. I resorted to undercoat as a supplement... Something is better than nothing. The four days of keeping thin coats inside the cab at optimum drying temps is a distant memory now... That's where the line was drawn. Foam filling cavities(competition vehicles particularly) would be the next step. Extent is to each his own...
Rattling metal is embarrassing to me, it's my min requirement for how much deadening is needed. People feature how much vehicular vibration their subs are creating as a bragging right. If your rattle is louder than your sound, your system sucks!
(I always take the opportunity to declare that when possible!) Pet peeve!    
This is what I do for FUN!
spmpdr 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
ianarian wrote:
Honestly, I only used the D-extreme because it was donated by a generous organization. I resorted to undercoat as a supplement... Something is better than nothing. The four days of keeping thin coats inside the cab at optimum drying temps is a distant memory now... That's where the line was drawn. Foam filling cavities(competition vehicles particularly) would be the next step. Extent is to each his own...
Rattling metal is embarrassing to me, it's my min requirement for how much deadening is needed. People feature how much vehicular vibration their subs are creating as a bragging right. If your rattle is louder than your sound, your system sucks!
(I always take the opportunity to declare that when possible!) Pet peeve!    
Dude, I agree 100% I cant stand rattling of any kind ,I dont have a rattling problem .My problem is the road noise and engine noise coming into the cab.Have you ever heard of that e-dead stuff ,its cheap kind of scary cheap but i can sandwich it with sound board to help supplement my lack of funds.Ive been looking for some closed sell foam but cant find any affordable.I guess ill give it a try.
nra4ever 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2010 at 1:26 PM / IP Logged  
I have Dynamat in my doors with Cascade on top of it & 1/2 inch of foam over it. My doors & cab walls are in good shape for what I've spent.I plan to use Edead v3 liquid on the floor & front fenders of my truck. It cost $1 per sg ft making it about the best price deadener on the market. It sticks to plastic door panels also. I used it under my cab & on my cab walls behind the seats. It does as good as the Dynamat & it stays on the walls. Some of my Dynamat fell off & had to be re glued in my doors. I cleaned & preped the skins before I installed the Dynamat & it still came loose. I plan to use edead products only in my F250 project. At $1 to $2 per sq ft for edead products its hard to buy Dynamat anymore.
2003 Ranger Edge White
Boston Pro tweeter & Anarchy 6.5 mid bass
Elemental Design e5.10 sub
JL Audio 500/1 & Phoenix Gold ZX475 Ti amps. 0 g power cable
Big 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic