icon

2003 gm sierra 9 pin stereo cassette wiri

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
temecularevev1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2010 at 10:53 PM / IP Logged  

I have a 2003 GMC Sierra PU with factory AM/FM/CD in dash with a factory AUX cassette player in the center console. I would like a wiring diagram for the 9 pin connector from the slave cassette to the in dash unit.

Thanks

Temecularevev1
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  

Can you take a photo of the plug.  I need to see the wires and where they attach to the plug. 

Does the cassette mechanism still work?   If not you will need a volt meter to find out which wire changes DC voltage when the cassette is inserted into the deck.

temecularevev1 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 11:36 AM / IP Logged  

Hi, Attached are a couple of photos of the plug and cassette. The unit works, I'm just looking for a way to tap into the right and left inputs so I can use it for inputing my MP3 player.

Below is a photo of the plug

2003 gm sierra 9 pin stereo cassette wiri - Last Post -- posted image.

This is the back of the cassette unit

Thanks

Temecularevev1
temecularevev1 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a better photo of the pin and wires

Temecularevev1
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 24, 2010 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
I must have been thinking of a different unit.  One of them has 2 shielded cables inside the main cable.  What are you trying to do? 
temecularevev1 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to indentify the right and left inputs lines. I want to tap into these lines and provide an input for my MP3 player.

Thanks

Temecularevev1
i am an idiot 
Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:24 AM / IP Logged  

Do you have an old set of computer speakers that you can sacrifice the 1/8 inch plug?  If so, cut the plug off and strip the outer insulation to expose the

shield and the 2 center conductors.  Unwrap a bit of the braid to expose the 2 center conductors.  strip both of the center conductors and twist them together.

Using a soldering iron, solder a wire onto the shield, and solder an alligator clip to the other end of that wire.  Solder a wire

to the 2 center conductors.  strip the other end of that wire and solder it to make it kind of like a meter probe.  With the radio powered up

and a cassette playing in the deck ground the shield to the chassis of the radio, now probe each wire of the plug with the probe you made with the center conductors.

While doing this, you can turn the radio volue all the way down.  The volume needs to be up a bit on the computer speakers.

You should hear music on 2 of the wires.  These 2 wires will be left and right audio.

another-kelly 
Silver - Posts: 618
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2010 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  
didn't think the '03's had a separate cassette player. at any rate, try testing this (can't tell the colors in the pic):
BROWN / White = Left +
Dark GREEN / WHITE = Right +
BLACK/ White = common
-or-
blue - mute
white - left audio
ORANGE / white - right audio
black - lo ground
orange - battery
brown - tape on
yellow - dimmer
black - high ground
red - volt
temecularevev1 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 25, 2010 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks both to "i am an idiot" and "another-kelly". I will combine your posts together and determine which are the correct leads.

P.S. My '03 Serria was just a month short of being a Denali. It was the first GM model to feature "QuadraSteer", later moved to the Denali model. So it came with all the bells and wistles, including a separate cassette player. A very nice truck2003 gm sierra 9 pin stereo cassette wiri - Last Post -- posted image.

Temecularevev1
smgreen20 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: May 27, 2010 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
Actually the Denali came out in '02 and if you want to get real technical the 1st gen Denali was actually the C3 Sierra in '01 though it didn't have Quadrasteer as the '02s did.
For all your q's in this matter, the truck in general and even the wire codes go to www.denalitrucks.com therThey can get you anything you'll need on the YD/SD. Even the std S/Y. The forum started out as allwheeldrivegm.com but changed. I found it back then as I had a Bravada at the time and was looking for info on the GMC Sy/Ty.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic