icon

viper backup battery

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
j521 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 3:20 AM / IP Logged  
Does the battery backup keep the alarm system working should the battery go dead?
I just had the Viper 5902 installed about a month ago with the battery backup addon. I had an issue with my car battery going dead and discovered when i tried to use the remote it said "out of range". I took it back to the installer and was told that the battery backup only keeps the siren going should a theif disable the battery after the alarm was triggered. Is this true??
jcs091570 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 5:08 AM / IP Logged  
The only way to really test it to see if it really does its job is to arm the system, then disconnect the power supply to the alarm system. it should instantly trigger the siren if hooked up properly. If you have a hood pin switch that triggers the alarm..no problem. Let the siren blare, go ahead and disconnect the battery..the siren should continue to sound. If it doesn't, it is a bad back up battery. I found many of these to be useless. I purchased a different type of 12v batt for my system and it works wonders. Otherwise, it should still work regardless with the remote.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 6:41 AM / IP Logged  
It should power the whole system. The real answer is to have that AND a battery back-up siren, then if the hood is forced and the siren wires are cut, the siren will keep going for about 20 mins.
As jcs says, it's all down to the type of battery, you would need about 5amps to run the alarm...not lights or locks.
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,603
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2010 at 5:02 PM / IP Logged  

The battery from dei isn't really effective, with a hourly discharge rate of 0.7A, it really won't suffice to power the alarm system well, it will keep the siren blaring for a couple mins well, it should still respond if the battery is in proper order however, it may operate as though the grounding is weak since it will have alot to support!

commit your way to jehovah and he will act in your behalf. psalms 37:5
j521 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 4:24 AM / IP Logged  
sounds like i wasted my money on this battery backup! I want something that will keep the alarm functioning if the battery goes dead :\
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
Just acquire a slightly bigger battery! And use it in place of the supplied one! I know quite a few that have the capacity  and are relatively small! But you may have to search! Unless someone here can point you in the right direction!
jimmeezgolfvr6 
Silver - Posts: 258
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
this may be a case of miscommunication. there are 2 different possibilities involved here. what your installer was describing is called a back-up siren. it is intended to continue ringing after power to it has been cut, and can only be turned off with a key, typically right on the siren itself. it is not intended to be able to supply power to your alarm brain if your car's main battery is drained.
what you're describing is a back-up battery for your alarm, so that the alarm will continue to function if the car's main battery is disconnected. they are continuously charged and store a some power to supply to the alarm brain. these things tend to be installed without any type of battery isolation, and they tend not to have any built-in isolation circuitry, so for example, if your car battery is drained by leaving your lights on, then this back-up battery will be drained also.
all problems can be resolved with a hammer
t&t tech 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Yes you are correct mrJimmeez, however that battery is not capable of sustaining all capacity of the alarm properly! It does work, but, not well in my opinion!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic