icon

what is the best audiophile 8sub?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swankmotee 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2010 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged  
I'm rebuilding a system in my 94' Integra GSR built around a Soundstream 644S amp,Nakamichi TD560 head unit, MB Quart 6 1/4 seperates, and an old custom 8" sub box that I used to run an early 90's JL W8 in. I have been trying to weed through all the choices for subs out there but am not able to zero in on something really "audiophile" that will pump out the tight bass I'm after. Any suggestions from some of the more sub-anal guys out there?
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 06, 2010 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
8W7 in it's proper enclosure.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2010 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
I second the 8w7, I run 4 in my Escalade :D
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
swankmotee 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 08, 2010 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanx to both of you gents because that is exactly the speaker I was researching myself and will go with. Just had my Soundstream 644S bench checked the other day and it is working flawlessly and not a bad Craiglist score since I only paid $100 for it. I'll post back once I get eveything loaded up and tweaked.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2010 at 6:47 AM / IP Logged  
Craigslist FTW!
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
afdanw 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 12:11 PM / IP Logged  
JL8W7 is a very nice 8, but far from the best for SQ, or "audiophile" as the question asked. But as far as sq goes for an audiophile... image dynamics aka ID8 or focal, would be my recommendations (the ID8 is better, but very hard to find). JL is very nice equipment, but in reality the speakers are a bit overrated (dont jump down my thought yet, i said a bit". This is only my opinion, but i have spent many years working in high end car audio, and i have heard a lot of speakers in my life. It is very easy to get other speakers that will do just as much (weather you are looking for SQ, SPL, or a combination of both) as a JL at about 20% less cost, and for the same amount as a JL you can get better performance out of other brands(IMO). Example: ID8 for SQ
swankmotee 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
afdanw wrote:
JL8W7 is a very nice 8, but far from the best for SQ, or "audiophile" as the question asked. But as far as sq goes for an audiophile... image dynamics aka ID8 or focal, would be my recommendations (the ID8 is better, but very hard to find). JL is very nice equipment, but in reality the speakers are a bit overrated (dont jump down my thought yet, i said a bit". This is only my opinion, but i have spent many years working in high end car audio, and i have heard a lot of speakers in my life. It is very easy to get other speakers that will do just as much (weather you are looking for SQ, SPL, or a combination of both) as a JL at about 20% less cost, and for the same amount as a JL you can get better performance out of other brands(IMO). Example: ID8 for SQ
I hear you man! I had Focal's and KNOW the difference for sure but money is really tight and I'm trying so hard not to settle for less (like the MBQuart's!)and looking for deals but they are hard to come by. Many thanx for your experienced reply because that was exactly what I was looking for!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2010 at 1:36 PM / IP Logged  
i have nothing but love for the 8W7 but if you are talking about audiophile sound you really need to pair it with a good amp that can control it and the box you put it in will make all the difference.
trdhawk 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2010 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  

Try stepping out of the box from the normal car audio brands.  I'm running one of these in my passenger kick panel of my MR2 and am still impressed with its performance after 2 years of use.  Search around Parts Express, there's some good products out there.  And BTW I love my Focal speakers :)

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=264-833

Brian Miller
Sacramento, California
86 MR2 Smallport
01 Golf Wagon VR6

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic