icon

aps 996a will not go in programming mode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sush1a 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2010 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
Hi, My alarm was working perfectly but I wanted to disable to auto arm function. After trying to disable that feature, I don't know what I did, but my remote doesn't work anymore.
So I kept trying, and made it worse. My alarm arms when the doors are closed, but my remote has no response and does not disarm or arm the alarm anymore. Ok, no problem, so I open the door, alarm goes off, ignition on, valet switch twice, the alarm disarms. Now, i try to get into programming mode. ignition on, valet 3 times, nothing, no chirp, no flash, nothing. It will not enter programming mode anymore?
Also, for the time being, I would need to disarm the whole system, because I do need to use the car. I was able to disarm the entire alarm with the 24pin plug unplug from the module, will that have any harm to my car? Or should I unplug the 6Pin power plug?
Thanks in advance..
lectricguy 
Copper - Posts: 359
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2010 at 8:58 PM / IP Logged  

sush1a-

I would remove the fuses on the 6 pin heavy guage wires, and re-install the 24 pin connector.  No harm should come to your vehicle or the APS996a. 

Next, I would take the after market remote(s) to your local Autozone.  At the battery display near the counter, there is a tester that lets you know if your remote is working properly.  This is the best place to start.   Once you confirm they are working, I would replace the fuses that you removed retry to lock/unlock the unit.  

If there was any issue with the remote (needed a battery, for example), this may be all you need.  If that doesn't do it, you may have unprogrammed your remotes by mistake.

-----Programming Remotes----

To program your remotes (or your unit), the system needs to be disarmed.  This would be done by turning the ignition ON, and pressing the valet button once within 5 seconds (I am assuming that you do not have custom overide enabled). 

Once disarmed, I would retry to go into programming mode.   Turn the ignition off, wait a second, then turn the ignition switch on and press the valet button 3 times.  You should hear 1 chirp.  This should get you back into Bank 1, the bank where the remotes can be programmed.

Press the lock button on your remote until you hear a chirp.  This confirms channel 1 is programmed.  You can also program a second remote at the same time by pressing its lock button until you hear the chirp.

Press the Valet button again, and you will hear 2 chirps.  Press the unlock button on your remote until you hear a chirp.  This confirms channel 2 is programmed.  You can also program a second remote at the same time by pressing its unlock button until you hear the chirp.

Press the Valet button again, and you will hear 3 chirps.  Press the trunk/key button on your remote until you hear a chirp.  This confirms channel 3 is programmed.  You can also program a second remote at the same time by pressing its trunk/key button until you hear the chirp.

Not sure if you use channel 4 through 7, but these may be programmed following the same sequence. 

Once the remote(s) is programmed, you can attempt to reprogram the features in the unit. 

----Feature programming for Active Arming----

To change the unit to active arming (only arms when you press the remote lock/arm button), start with the system disarmed.  Turn the ignition switch ON.  Press the valet button 3 times.  You will hear 1 chirp, parking lights flash once. 

Next, turn the ignition OFF (you will hear a short chirp), then ON( You will hear a long chirp).  You are now in Bank 2.

Press the valet button-this identifies the programming in feature 1 by the number of chirps.

Press the valet button again, and feature 2 setting is indicated by chirps.

Keep going until the 6th press--you should hear 1 or 2 chirps.     If you are automatically arming (Passive arming), you will hear 1 chirp.  Press the lock button on one of the remotes to change the setting to active arming (arms with the remote only)--you will hear 2 chirps.   You can turn the ignition to off, and wait a few seconds.  You will hear one long chirp, indicating that you have exited programming.

----Extended period Valet mode-----

Also, If you disarm the unit using the Valet, and wish to defer the programming until later, you can place the unit in valet mode for an extended period.  Turn the ignition to ON, then press and hold the valet until the LED indicater comes on.  The unit will remain in valet mode until you take it out of valet mode by turning the ignition to the ON position and press the valet button again (only for an instant to turn valet off).

Let me know if you need more help.

Lectric Guy
sush1a 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: July 13, 2010 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
thanks lectricguy, I will try that and report back.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic