looking for component speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
asquarecan 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2010 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys,
I have an MTX TC3002 amp which runs ~75rms x2 @ 4 ohms. Now that I have my mono channel amp situation squared away I am looking at upgrading my door speakers to some 2 way comp speakers. I would like to keep my price some where between $100-$150 max. I have looked at some PG and CDT components that seam like they would do me good. Here is my question all of the speakers i am looking at want to run at 150~ RMS so first of all is that 150 total meaning 75 each or 150 each?
If it is 75w each that answers my next question but if in deed they want 150w rms. Would I be better to spend a little less and get a speaker that is closer to my amps rms rating or is putting 75w rms to a speaker wanting 150w ok? I just know I have bought some after market speakers before and they barely sounded better then stock because i did not have enough power for them to preform correctly.
Any ways just looking for some suggestions.
Thanks
Keith
icearrow6 
Copper - Posts: 497
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
75w RMS is a lot more than stock.
That 75WRMS that the amp is going to do is the maximum RMS the amp can do before it "clips" or distorts.
To answer your power question, I say that is better to have a more powerful amp so you can drive the speakers safely without distortion.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2010 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
You are getting a little too hung up on power ratings. Many times speaker ratings are more influenced by the marketing department than the engineering department. This is especially true of speakers within the price range you are looking at. 75 watts per channel is going to be more than enough power to run any set of speakers on the market to reference levels.
What I recommend is that you ignore the ratings and instead listen to the speakers. Pick out the one's that sound best to you. And remember that the front speakers are responsible for 95% of what you will be hearing. If you want your system to sound it's best, then this is the best place to invest your money. I'd recommend saving up so you can afford a good set of speakers and not entry level stuff.
asquarecan 
Copper - Posts: 64
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 16, 2010 at 8:06 AM / IP Logged  
Thank you,
What do you recommend for speakers? What price range do you suggest I put into for speakers?
I am looking for sharp crisp vocals. I honestly do not need to get too much louder, although a little would be nice. My biggest problem right now is when I turn my music up to where I want to listen to it with the window down and cruising it is on the cuff of distortion.
Thanks
Keith
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: July 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM / IP Logged  
asquarecan wrote:
Thank you,
What do you recommend for speakers? What price range do you suggest I put into for speakers?
I am looking for sharp crisp vocals. I honestly do not need to get too much louder, although a little would be nice. My biggest problem right now is when I turn my music up to where I want to listen to it with the window down and cruising it is on the cuff of distortion.
Thanks
Keith
Go to your local stereo shops and listen to speakers in all price points. Make sure to bring your own music and that it is a good quality recording that you are familiar with. Recordings with acoustic instruments work best (not rap, metal, techno, etc.). If you can, try going to a high-end home stereo store first and listen to the most expensive speakers available. That will give you a reference point on what good sound reproduction is. Once you demo all the speakers you can, determine which speakers you like best and save up to get those at the shop you heard them at.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic