icon

89 chevy silverado remote entry

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dmc561 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2010 at 4:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hello everyone I am in the process of installing a alarm in uncles 89' Silverado that I am restoring for him, anyways I figured this would be the best place to get help with the install.
I have everything working perfect except the remote lock/unlock feature.
I have the light blue and BLACK/ white striped wire from under the left dash speaker cut and wired them up to my relays (5 wire alternating 12v positive) like the diagram on this site but it does not work.
I bought my relays from the local parts store which they gave me flasher relays with 5 posts when I told them what I needed they said these will work . Now is it the relays or did I miss something else that would causing it no to work?
I get a buzzing sound when I arm and disarm the alarm from the relays also pops my fuse(15amps)
The alarm I am using is Python model 460hp
and the relays are Tridon ep27 electronic flasher relays
I thank everyone in advance for any help.
likearock 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2010 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
If you have found the correct wires for lock and unlock, you need two SPDT relays. NOT flashers, that is your problem.
You can tell if a relay is SPDT b/c it will have a 87a pin, 5 pins instead of 4 on a SPST.
I buy my relays online, none of the auto parts stores or radioshack around here sell the SPDT ones.
cpalmer 
Copper - Posts: 109
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 30, 2010 at 10:13 PM / IP Logged  
Make sure you have right relays like previuos post says. There is a chance you have your 85 and 87A pins from your relay backwards. This would send voltage directly to ground blowing the fuse. Un hook BOTH relays and check for ground, the side with a ground signal goes to 87A, the other side is the motor, hook it up to 85.
dmc561 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2010 at 6:29 PM / IP Logged  
I went and picked up the right relays today locks work but when I unlock it pops fuses only when I use the alarm remote, when I lock and unlock with the trucks lock/unlock switch it's fine.
Now should I have the relays mounted up close to where I hooked up my wires to the locks? (under drivers dash speaker)find my relays 12volt source up there? would this help? I am using a 12gauge power wire and no matter what amp fuse I use it pops . I have checked my wiring everything looks good. Any Ideas guys?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic