icon

choosing front speakers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
cachanilla 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2010 at 6:15 PM / IP Logged  

I need your help choosing my front speakers; I've been looking for a component set around $100 and I found these 4 sets:

Diamond Audio D363.5

• Sensitivity: 91 dB
• RMS Power Handling : 60 Watts
• Frequency response: 52-20000 Hz

JL Audio TR650-CSi

• Sensitivity: 91 dB
• RMS Power Handling : 50 Watts
• Frequency response: 59-20000 Hz

Eclipse SC-6500

• Sensitivity: 84 dB
• RMS Power Handling : 75 Watts
• Frequency response: 84-25000 Hz

Boston Acoustics S60

• Sensitivity: 92 dB
• RMS Power Handling : 65 Watts
• Frequency response: 58-25000 Hz

All are 4 Ohms and have crossovers but the JL that has an inline capacitor for the tweeter. I'll be running the speakers with a MTX amp (50 watts RMS). It is not possible for me to hear any of these speakers so I need any input you can give me. Thank you.

Kenwood KDC-X591, MTX 4 channel amp, Excelon KFC-P708 front speakers, Kenwood KFC-1662 rear speakers, Eclipse XA1200 sub amp and Eclipse SW6010 sub.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2010 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have not heard any of the speakers that you are asking about. But I can probably help steer you in the right direction.  With the amount of power you have available, efficiency is going to be very important.  The difference between the 91 and 92 dB rating will be barely noticeable, if at all.  The 84dB rating will be considerably less loud than the other choices. 
cachanilla 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2010 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks I am an idiot. So I can forget the eclipse set; but what about quality of sound? I mean, wich brand 'would you expect to sound better of the 3 remaining; wich one would you pick? Thanks for your patience.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 15, 2010 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Boston, JL and then Diamond, in that order.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2010 at 1:54 AM / IP Logged  
I don't recommend purchasing any of them unless you can hear them for yourself. Speaker preference is too subjective to do a blind purchase with. Chances are you won't be happy with your choice. Go down to the local stereo shop, listen to as many sets of speakers as you can and purchase the one's from the shop that sounded best to you.
As an example; I have yet to hear a set of Boston speakers that I liked the sound of. The higher end speakers made by Diamond and JL sound great, but I really don't like the sound of the D3 or TR components. Then again that is my own subjective opinion.
cachanilla 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2010 at 3:28 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for your help I am an idiot.

Steven, I appreciate your advice; unfortunely I can't hear any of them; I live in Mexicali, Mexico and I can't find any of those brands around here but boss, jvc or pioner. Thank you.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic