icon

8w7 too good for stock system?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
snickstx 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2010 at 8:40 AM / IP Logged  
I've been sub shopping for my impending build. I'm starting with an 03 Explorer with OE sub. Try to do a stealth install so everything will be fed with the stock (Visteon) HU. I'm planning to power with the new JL XD 5 channel that I've been waiting on for forever. I'm pretty sure the JL Sale Director has me on ignore by now. Maybe process with a CleanSweep. Which brings me to the sub.
With the 8W7 I'm already fighting a space issue as I'll need to try to find 3" somewhere under the interior panel. I figure I can build out with a couple of rings and maybe cut and reglass the back of the box to find the space. However, considering all this work & the initial cost of the speaker, is it really worth it when it being fed a stock signal? The 8W7 is everything I want although it could be a bit shallower. I guess I'm just afraid it's going the be like putting 87 in a top fueler.
BTW, I'm not looking to shatter glass, just want to be able to reach down low when I need to.
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2010 at 12:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hello.
The JL XD amplifiers are new for this year and some of the models haven't been released yet. This includes the 5 channel amplifier. That's probably why you haven't heard anything from your dealer yet.
If you use a Cleansweep, then any factory equalization will be removed so the signal will be fine to run the 8W7 with.
Although you will get some bass, the 5 channel version of the XD amplifier won't run the 8W7 to it's limits as it is only around 200 watts RMS. Their HD900/5 amplifier would be a better match.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2010 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Is the vehicle outfitted with a factory subwoofer?
snickstx 
Member - Posts: 17
Member spacespace
Posted: August 16, 2010 at 8:44 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, it has the factory sub. After viewing the other 8" subs, I think I'll move away from the 8W7. Not that it's flawed but I just think it's way too much work for a daily driver. Also, I'm working with limited space for power which is why I'm going for the XD700/5. (JL says it will be available in September now) As to the CleanSweep, I'm sure it will flatten the curve but I don't think it can add to low end other than what it's given. I may forgo it all together in the end.
The 8W3v3 looks like and admirable solution for much less cost and headache.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 16, 2010 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  
if the factory sub is not blown, you need to at least listen to it with some decent power.  You will be surprised.  The factory amplifier is definitely the weak link in the setup.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic