icon

kicker amp issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
85chevy 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2010 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I have a Kicker ZX350.4 amp that will turn off if I turn the volume up past a certain point. My question is the amp no good or is there something I can do to fix it, the warranty on the amp is up so i cant send it back.
Thanks for the input
Ben
lspker 
Silver - Posts: 503
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 17, 2010 at 9:43 PM / IP Logged  

Could be many reasons from bad amp to poor install.

A speaker could be shorting out and putting the amp into protection.  There could be a lack of power, bad fuse, bad ground, alternator output unstable.  Check everything.

roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
What set are you using the amplifier for? Mids and highs, subwoofers, or both? How many speakers total and are you bridging any channels? What size power wire?
Chadillac
85chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 20, 2010 at 8:42 AM / IP Logged  
Heres my setup in my truck, I have a separate battery that powers my system. From the battery i have 0 gauge wire going to a splitter that splits to o gauge for a Kicker ZX750.1 amp that runs my sub, then to 4 gauge that powers the Kicker ZX350.4 amp. It runs two 6X9s out of two of the channels(one in each channel), and then the 3rd and 4th channel runs two 5.25in mids, and two 1in tweeters(one mid and one tweeter in each channel), kicker speakers all around. The mids and tweeters are the component system that kicker sells. So what would cause the amp to shut off after a certain volume?
-Also I checked all of the connections and everything is good.
-The power supply is also good, I have a 140 amp alt supplying both batteries, which are both optima the one being a deep cycle.
Ben
roadshop570 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2010 at 10:25 AM / IP Logged  

Check for a blown speaker, use ohm scale on multimeter, what boosts features are you using on the deck?

Chadillac
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
check your grounds. make sure they are tight and screwed to bare metal with no paint in the way and no rust.
is the amp shutting off or is it going into protection mode. determining what it is actually doing when it shuts off should point you in the right direction. also, check the power on both sides of each fuse while the system is on and look for differences in voltage or voltage drops when the amp shuts off. if you are using AGU fuses ( the round glass cylinders) they can look like they are still good but can still be bad or have a loose connection on the ends that connect it to the metal ends. if you dont have a digital voltage meter, get one or find someone who does.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2010 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  
And set your gain properly.
Support the12volt.com
85chevy 
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM / IP Logged  
I have checked everything from connections to power supply, the thing is that these speakers and amps are not even a year old. They have been playing and sounding great since I set the system up last fall and then a few weeks ago this amp started to shut off if I turn the volume up past like 14 on my radio and that's not that loud either I usually listen to at it like 24, I'm just trying to figure out if it's the amp is bad.
Ben
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2010 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  
If it was playing fine before, and if nothing in your car has changed, then either the speaker or the amp is broken.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic