icon

parking flash fuse blows

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joch1314 
Copper - Posts: 301
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 7:56 PM / IP Logged  

Remove the screws that are holding your amps down.  i know you said that you have them mounted to the floor and you don't think there's wires there but it's not unlikely.  Wires can/have been known to run down the center of the vehicle, and if you undo what you did before the problems started we have a good chance at finding the culprit.  Had that happen to one of the guys i worked with.....the customer kept blowing fuses when his right signal turned on and ONLY when it turned on.  Turns out it was a screw that mounted the amp to the floor that also went through a spool of wires running down the middle of the truck and only hit that wire, and of course when it got power it grounded and blew the fuse.  It's worth a shot....   

...half of the truth can be worse than a lie. <----Roger Russell said that..
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Take one of the blown fuses and grind the plastic away from both top corners.  Solder a wire to each leg of the fuse.  Connect the other ends of the wires to a 12 volt lamp.  Plug the fuse back into the socket and turn the lights on.  The lamp should illuminate brightly.  Begin moving wires and removing bulbs, when the short is eliminated the other lamps should illuminate a bit and the brightness of the lamp across the fuse will dim a bit.  Cheaper than tons of fuses to test.
hawks 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2010 at 11:44 PM / IP Logged  

Hey i am an idiot that is a pretty cool trick..I will have to try that next time I have this problem because I did go thru about 15 fuses before I figured out the problem.  The problem was I am an idiot.  When I was cutting holes in the door panels for speakers with my dremel I accidentally cut thru the rear passenger door window and lock wiring harness.  They some how came loose from the inner door panel and were laying up against the outer door panel.  Anyway I had soldered the wires all back together and apparently put the wires back in the plug reverse of what they should be.  So I took it apart and put the wires in the right place and presto.  Everything is once again working perfectly.  I did'nt even think about this being the problem I guess because I thought I had fixed it.  I also didn't think about it being part of the dash lighting circuit until I pulled the drivers door controls to check for any possible shorts I may have caused and as soon as I opened it up and I saw the little bulbs in the back of the controls a light bulb went off in my head to check that plug.  I am glad it was an easy fix but I feel like a dumba*s.

Thanks all for your input.

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic