icon

astrostart 5224 not working

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sleepsafe 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2010 at 5:36 PM / IP Logged  
I just found this forum while searching a solution to my problem. I haven't had any luck tho and thought the experience here might point me in the right direction.
I have an 08 Ford F250 diesel with a dealer installed Astrostart 5224. It has worked well, with one exception previously. That involved the same problem that I'm having now. All controls on the transmitter seem to work, so I feel that it is coupled to the vehicle. The doors unlock and all other features work. Pressing the remote starter causes some dash lights to come on, tho the vehicle doesn't crank. If I attempt a remote start with the key in the ignition the vehicle does start remotely.
This happened once before and it was fixed by the dealer. They told me they had to "reprogram" the remote starter, but didn't go into detail.
I'd like to fix this myself, and know how so if it happens again I can deal with it. I could take it to the dealer, but like most things in ND they are a long way off, about 70 miles. Any tips, advice, or suggestions from you guys in the know would be greatly appreciated
Thanks for this forum,there is a lot of good information here. I plan to install some new fog lights along with a new bumper towards the end of this month. I have a plan on how the wiring could be done using the stock light switch, but I may need some advice then too.
saskpuller 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2010 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

This is quite an easy fix. Take the shroud that goes around the steering wheel off. It should be held on with three screws.(5.5mm i think). Once you have that off, you will see that there is a ring of sort taped around or glued to the face of the ignition switch. This is your problem. It needs to be realigned. If it is a sticky ring, it maybe broke and need to be replaced. If it is a loop of wires, tighten it up to transponder ring and tape it tightly. Keep trying until you get it.

saskpuller 
Copper - Posts: 144
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2010 at 11:39 PM / IP Logged  
Where in North Dakota?
sleepsafe 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2010 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
Rolla, 150 miles or so northwest of Grand Forks. Pretty close to the US/Can boarder.
alarep5 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2010 at 3:49 PM / IP Logged  

I don't use key cylinder wind method on this and many other ford models.

I use a PKFM module by Exresskit. It is a simple three wire connection to the wires coming from the key cyl.

You will have to check what type of bypass is used with your install. May be a wrapped key, but I have had great luck with the PKFM.

The ford dealer down the street uses a Ford oem module, I tried it but no luck.

If your installer did use a PKFM or module like it, you will need two keys to program it.

But it does sound like your bypass is the problem.

OLDSCHOOL - If the wire is there,...use it.
northern 
Copper - Posts: 154
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2010 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
I didn't think F250's used a transponder? I have been doing ford's for years and have never had one have a transponder? Almost every F150 I have done has had a transponder however...
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 10, 2010 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
The 08 does ... Astro has 4 to choose from including a key in the box type!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic