icon

three chamber single reflex bandpass

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
metaljoey 
Copper - Posts: 58
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2010 at 1:02 AM / IP Logged  

i am looking at a  Three Chamber Single Reflex Bandpass with 4 American bass xlf 12"s for My build. the trunk of my 04 sebring will be walled off. leaving the port firring in the cabin. i looked it up on here, and this is what it stated.

"The single-reflex band pass enclosure is basically a combination of a sealed and vented enclosure. These can be fairly small enclosures, though larger than a sealed enclosure. They offer great power handling, good low frequency response, but are not as efficient as vented enclosures (top of this page), and are more complex to build. However, when built correctly, these make excellent enclosures and are often used by competitors. This is often referred to as a fifth order enclosure, but it's not. The addition of a crossover makes it a fifth order system."

how efficient is this box design? i will will be running a crossover. that will make it a 5th order, right?  it will be tuned @ 33 Hz. and what if i were to port the out side chambers in to the center chamber? what would it be then? a three chamber  Quasi Sixth Order Series-Tuned Bandpass? or would it just be a bad idea? @ first my designer was going to do a 4th order series-tuned type of box. then he told me the Three Chamber Single Reflex Bandpass set up would best for my application, and would not need as much "tweaking" as the series tuned 4th order would. what do think? any intelligent input would be greatly appreciated!!

thank you for your time!!!

Before you see the light, you must die!!
metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 20, 2010 at 4:11 PM / IP Logged  
anyone??
metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 23, 2010 at 2:39 PM / IP Logged  
should i type slower so someone will understand? lol
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2010 at 2:34 AM / IP Logged  
I hate ALL bandpass enclosures, if it matters at all... They are exceptionally and universally categorized as one note wonders; they are called "bandpass" for a reason. :P
Perhaps you should grab a copy of Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. As far as us being able to tell YOU what enclosure you want, or response you are after, we can't.
This book, as inexpensive as it is, can very likely give you a better idea of the various response characteristics of the various enclosure designs you are considering.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
whiterob 
Copper - Posts: 351
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2010 at 4:01 AM / IP Logged  
A 4th order or bandpass design is going to be more efficient than a ported enclosure if designed correctly but will have a much narrower frequency range. Since they are going to be more efficient they can get louder which can be a good thing if that is your goal. However, the cost is reduced SQ.
Adding a port to the outside chambers would make it a 6th order design. This would almost always be a bad idea. The exception would be if you were interested in competing and just wanted an enclosure that was very loud at a certain frequency or very narrow range of frequencies.
Like said above, what type of sound are you looking for? That can help us determine if that design would be good for you or not.
metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2010 at 6:01 AM / IP Logged  

50/50 sq/spl i just don't want to be loud. I'm not sure about doing 4-12". I'm not sure if i have the proper room. i don't want a crazy quasi 10th order or nothing.

might look in to doing 3-12'' in a plane old 4th order ported box!  i do not want a "one note wonder" for a box, just to be loud. maybe i should just roll with the two 12" i have, and say the hell with it.

thanks for the help.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  

metaljoey wrote:
should i type slower so someone will understand? lol

This comment will make you no friends.

If you want SQ at all, do not build any sort of bandpass system, IMO.

Support the12volt.com
metaljoey 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

that was a joke hints the "lol".

and thanks for the input. i will not do a bandpass of any kind. you all just saved me a lot of time and money, that i would have put in to it!   three chamber single reflex bandpass - Last Post -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic