icon

good sq tweeter recommendations needed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dred 
Copper - Posts: 158
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  
these are the best when used with a crossover when the frequency multiplier set x20 the are the best you need to try them for yourself they are real crisp i am telling you man. The come with there own LC network 7000khz x-over frequency and 91db CRISP and clean.
dre
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 7:13 AM / IP Logged  
7000khz? That's seven MEGAhertz, and WELL into RF range. (Can audio even GO that high, and still be considered "audio"?). Point 1.
Point 3: NO tweeter that comes with a crossover of 7 KILOhertz (7kHz - please notice the correct abbreviation, dred) is going to sound... "right". A good quality tweeter can go as low as 2kHz. Yes! TWO!
Still smells like SPAM to me, dred... The OP is looking for quality, not kwality.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 07, 2010 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
a 7khz crossover point wouldn't even be suitable for a 3-way system much less my 2-way setup. i would lose the entire frequency range between 2khz and 7khz. that's like the whole middle third of my equalizer that i wouldn't be able to use anymore. and if that is what pioneer recommends they be crossed over at, then those are not tweeters they are just loud "tickers", little headache makers that can be heard a mile away.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2010 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
i just ordered a set of those SEAS prestige tweets so lets hope everything goes well and they sound at least as good as what i got in there now although i think it might be hard to top the way my system sounds right now. ill write a review when i get them playing and thanks to all who replied.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
Finally, got the tweeters last night and my first impression is wow. they really have some weight to them and if i had to go just based on how they look i would give them a at least an 8.5. definitely worth the $33 and hopefully they sound as good as they look.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2010 at 11:47 PM / IP Logged  
Glad you like them! The SEAS are some really nice drivers! :)
soundnsecurity 
Posted: January 17, 2011 at 9:27 PM / IP Logged  
ok FINALLY! i had a chance to semi install these tweeters and give em a listen. they have their ups and downs compared to my previous diamonds. first, i dont think they are quite as loud over all but they are definitely a good bit cleaner in the upper range. they also dont seem to be blending as well as the old tweeters which is to be expected. this is making the whole system sound just the slightest bit off. they dont sound as powerful in the upper mid range.
i hope this is all due to the tweeter itself just sounding different and all i will need is a week or so of riding around and tweeking the settings on my eq to get them to blend with my mids. i also have a feeling that my blending problem is being caused by a shift in the crossover point because the new tweeters are 8 ohm i believe, and the original tweeters are 6 ohm. someone who is more familiar with crossover design can probably tell me how bad the shift is if that is really whats happening.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Your crossovers will certainly need to be adjusted.  Look at the crossovers app over to the left of this page.  When you change speakers, and definitely when the impedance is rated differently, you need to change the crossover too.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
yeah thats what i figured, problem is that i didnt build the crossovers. they are the crossovers that came with my component setup and all i did was change the tweeters. im thinking, if i can identify the coil and cap for the tweeters high pass section i might be able to replace them with the properly spec'd components to keep the original crossover point. which brings me to my other problem, i have no idea what the original crossover point or slope was to begin with. so ill have to take one of my crossovers and dissect it to find out exactly that the component values are and map out how they are wired together. or maybe ill call diamond and ask them first.
but, doing that is really my last resort. i gave it another listen this morning and played with the EQ a little bit and it sounds much better. i think at some point last night i accidentally hit something that changed my custom EQ settings and switched it to one of the factory pre-set ones.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic