icon

no power antenna wire

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pv13 
Copper - Posts: 155
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
I am installing a JVC KD-AR560 in a 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood with a power antenna, but the head unit's harness doesn't have a separate power antenna wire. It only has a remote turn on lead for the amplifier.
So my question is, how do I get the power antenna to work on the car? Can I tap into the accessory wire? Do I hook it up with a switch? Do I use a relay in conjunction with the remote turn on lead, and if so do I have to fuse the wire?
I want to have use of the power antenna, but I only want it to come on when the tuner is activated on the head unit.
I would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
simplyfalling 
Copper - Posts: 69
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 7:29 AM / IP Logged  
Use acc or the amp trigger to activate the power antenna.  If you want the antenna to only come on when your listening to the radio buy another head unit.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 8:23 AM / IP Logged  

Most 100 dollar decks do not have separate remote and power antenna wires.  Most decks at or above the 150 dollar mark have separate wires.  Your only option short of replacing your radio is going to be with a switch.  Since you have to use a switch, I would tag the acc wire just to not have to worry about damaging the remote wire circuit from overcurrent. 

I have no idea of the price of your unit.  Just putting that out ther incase you were to buy a new radio.  Make sure the new radio has a Blue wire and a Blue/White wire.

pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
I plan on getting a nice alpine in the future, but for now, I think I'm going to go with the switch because I don't listen to the radio often, and I don't want to have the mast extended all the time.
So do I just use a two prong switch? One end tapped into the acc wire and the other to the power antenna?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 1:38 PM / IP Logged  
You are correct about the workings of the switch.
pv13 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2010 at 2:13 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I'll use this temporary fix until I get my new deck.
Thanks

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic