icon

2000 malibu viper 5101

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hgfirehazard 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2010 at 10:31 AM / IP Logged  
I am getting my girlfriend a remote start for her Malibu as a Christmas gift and am trying to get all my research done so when the equipment arrives I can wire away and have minimal hang-ups along the way.
First, I have a schematic for the rear defroster wiring for her car and it's vague at best. http://content.chiltonsonline.com/content/images/WD/GM/002/WD_GM_002554.pdf The 5101 can send a 200mA output as soon as the remote start engages or either a latched or pulsed after approximately 10 seconds. I would prefer the latter option if possible, but I can't determine from the diagram what wire this would be. I have a multimeter and her car available when I need it so any advice as far as reading the diagram correctly or testing the circuit correctly would be helpful here.
I am also questioning whether I should purchase a DEI 451M for her door lock/unlock. From what I have read her car has 3 wire positive wiring. Can the 5101 handle this without relays?
Finally, I am wondering if I need to hook up more than just the pink ignition wire. This diagram shows the Dark Green wire controls the BCM/PCM, do I need to wire this as well as the pink?
I appreciate any input and thank you for your time.
hgfirehazard 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2010 at 10:32 AM / IP Logged  
The first hyperlink should be this to work correctly. Thank you.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2010 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

I looked up the wiring for the 2000 Malibu and the door locks arent anything special.  You dont need the DEI 451M. Just wire the door lock wires from the unit to the wires on the car.

Power Unlock WHITE (+) DRIVER KICK PANEL
PowerLock LIGHT BLUE (+) DRIVER KICK PANEL

kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2010 at 6:56 PM / IP Logged  

Defroster:

Test the White wire that comes from the Heater A/C Control Assy at D C2 going to the UnderHood Junction Box at B2 ( and Relay Pin 85 ).  It looks like a latched (-) signal that actuates the Rear Defogger Relay at Relay Pin 85.  The other way would be a latched +12v 20A connection at Rear Defogger Relay Pin 30.

Ignition2:

Bulldog shows two Ignition wires, one Starter wire and one Accessory wire.  Confirm this with a DMM.  Both Ignition wires should be powered.  The Viper has a Flex Relay that will power the second Ignition wire.

AudioVox shows two Ignition wires, two Accessory wires and one Starter wire.  ACC2 is listed as Brown @ ignition switch.  Another place to use the DMM.  That would require an additional relay and fuseholder w/20A fuse.

Door Locks:

As for the 451M, not sure of the cars' Type A (+) Locks current draw.  The brands of remote start units I use only output (-) door lock signals, so I always use relays for (+) door lock vehicles.  451M modules only cost $6...

Soldering is fun!
hgfirehazard 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 03, 2010 at 8:32 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you both for taking the time to answer my questions, I appreciate it!
Kreg, your description of the rear defroster makes perfect sense looking at the diagram again. Everything should be here by early next week and I'll be testing that then. I also re-read the instructions for the flex relay and would rather wire both the Pink and Dark Green wires (the proposed 2 primary ignition wires) the first time. The brown wire is shown in another schematic to power the radio and windshield wipers, both of which would be unnecessary to start the car. If I'm wrong I will just use a relay to wire that correctly.
Thanks again for your help. If I have any more questions I will post here. Also when I'm done I will post a list of what was required, what wasn't, and a list of connections I made to make it all work.
godd dan it 
Copper - Posts: 446
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 12:11 AM / IP Logged  
The Viper unit can be used for either (-) or (+) door locks. So no relays are needed like I said before. I think most....if not all DEI units are like that. Just wanted to clear that up.
xxunknownxx 
Member - Posts: 43
Member spacespace
Posted: November 04, 2010 at 3:00 AM / IP Logged  
You dont have to power the brown accessory wire. I also have a malibu of that body style. I chose not to power the second accessory because I have tv inside and I'd rather it not be sitting there powered on unattended. ;)
hgfirehazard 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I received my PLJX module in the mail today and I have one question regarding the install.
The diagram in the install guide (found here) shows the (RV) Blue "Passlock Resistor Value wire" with a solid line connecting it to the Yellow wire which connects the BCM to the Ignition Key, and then it shows a hyphenated line connecting it to the a VATS wire. Am I supposed to wire it to one, the other, or both? The directions are vague.
Thank you in advance for your insight!
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,781
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
The PLJX Blue wire only goes to the Passlock2 Yellow wire.  ( Your Passlock2 type car won't  have the VATS wires.)  Remember to set the jumper to "B" position.
Soldering is fun!
hgfirehazard 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2010 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Kreg, thank you again for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic