icon

clipping stock amp?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
knotdrummer88 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 10, 2010 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
in my 92 grand marquis i have aftermarket speakers and headunit. i cant turn the volume past 25/50 without it distorting, but when i had the same speakers in another vehilce running straight off of the headunit i could turn the volume up to 33/50. could the factory amp start clipping at that point? what could be the issue?
masterodisaster 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 13, 2010 at 8:46 PM / IP Logged  
Yes - Probably a factory amplifier issue. If you're integrating the factory amplifier and using a "line out converter" type device, then most likely there is not enough signal feeding the stock amp. you could feed direct high-level to the amplifier which would allow it to get louder, but with more noise in the system, and only utilizing a small portion of volume control (would get loud fast and too loud at mid to high volume levels). I suggest bypassing the stock amp all together with a bypass plug. First you have to find it (rear deck, rear quarter panel, above glove box, etc.)...
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 10:39 AM / IP Logged  
yeah, it does get real loud real fast, like it reaches a listening level at 1/50, and yes it located underneath the rear deck, thank you very much
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 14, 2010 at 12:39 PM / IP Logged  

At the junction where you connected the radios speaker wires to the wiring of the car, cut all 4 negative connections.  Insulate the 4 negative wires that come from the radio.  The 4 negative wires of the car need to be grounded.  This will give your factory amp 1/2 of the input which it is currently recieving.  It is very important that you insulate the radios negative wires so they do not touch ground or any other wires.  Double check your work and make sure that only the 4 negative wires of the car are grounded.

knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2010 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
so make sure all the negative wires are properly insulated and connected?
masterodisaster 
Member - Posts: 46
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2010 at 1:52 AM / IP Logged  
Are you bypassing the amp or not?
He was saying to isolate the negative speaker output wires from the stock negative inputs and ground the factory negative wires. This COULD work, but there are still possible non compatibility issues and possible noise issues. If you plan on feeding the factory amp with signal you could try that method. Personally I would just bypass the stock amp (by feeding your inputs to your outputs at the amp location and use the head units power. They make amp bypass harnesses for this task. Ideally you would get an aftermarket 4 channel amp for your highs and mids (50watts x 4 @ 4ohms minimum) in that location and run 2 sets of RCA cables back there for your signal input. As long as I'm talking about "ideally" I would also make sure to put an amp and sub in there too. speakers smaller than 6x9" will not reproduce "good" bass response - although there are some that would argue that point. I prefer a 10" woofer for accuracy, and a couple 12" for MAJOR BOOM.
Giddyup!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic