icon

is there a need for a fuse block

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM / IP Logged  

Just wondering is there really a need for a fuse block?

I have a circuit breaker under the hood, each of my amps have their own fuse, I am just wondering if adding a fuse block with more fuses is even necessary. In the 15 plus years of having aftermarket gear in my cars I have never had to replace a single fuse and the only time my circuit breaker has even tripped is I do it myself while I am pulling an amp out or something. To me it would just be easier to use a ground block rather than a fuse block to distribute the power to multiple amps.

oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not sure what you mean by (rather) a ground block for distributing power...
But IMO, no need for an added fuse block, not a fuse block if existing fuses are fine.
Though you say you have never had to replace a fuse, I take it that (more importantly) you haven't had to replace the cables that the fuses are there to protect.
And implicitly, that the fuses would protect the cables if there was a cable fault (ie, short or overload, but not a bad connection etc [sorry for Ped - I've been in a long "extra fuse for added protection" (NOT!) discussion elsewhere]).
Though I like fuse blocks for convenience and neatness etc, not if it effects distribution - ie, in-line where required rather the detour to a block.
And no series (or ground!!) fuses "for extra protection" {ibid} - just the normal "fuse for the downstream cable".
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

When I said "Ground Block" I meant the typical boxes that you run your main ground wire to then all of your compent grounds tie into that. Like so: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=265-800

I guess the reason I am asking is I am getting ready to re do my stereo setup in my car. I am trying to go as minimal as possible so having to have a fuse box that is accessable is just one more thing to figure into the install. While I doubt I would ever have to change one I still would want it easy to get to.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 4:19 PM / IP Logged  
Anytime you change your wire size, you add a fuse. ALWAYS. Can that be easily done without a fused distribution block? Generally, not easily. If you can, then go for it. Otherwise, I recommend strongly AGAINST using a ground block as a power distribution point.
If you insist on it, then your battery fuse must be no bigger than the safe current capacity of the smallest wire connected to the distribution block. If you think about what I just said, a fused distribution point will make perfect sense to you.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2010 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  
Haemo's last line is quite common - not the fused distro - but a small fuse up front to cover the entire cable.
This is common in low resistance runs (where minimum number of fuses and joins are desired).
EG - end cable is 100A for its load, hence a 100A (or smaller) fuse is required.
But heavier cable is used for part of the run to minimise resistance (voltage drop) etc. Then the 100A fuse can be at the cable start (rather than say a 400A fuse <whatever> & the 10A later fuse.   
I'm like Haemo in the "ground wherever" - ie, as close to the load as practical.
That may be modified by ground loop issues, but a common ground (remote from power source/s) can still have ground loops. (12VDC ground loops are not necessarily the same as domestic AC ground loops.)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic