polarstart ps 3155 07 xterra

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
labello71 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2010 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  

Hi,

I have a PolarStart PS-3155 installed into an 07 Xterra with a manual transmission.

The problem I have is that the RS is able to crank the starter, however the engine will not run. I will say that I have had this problem before, and in all occurences it was after the summer and a long period of no use.

When this happened previously I was able to fix it by getting the remote starter to crank while I was sitting in the truck and sticking in a key in the ignition while it was cranking. Then miraculously the problem would go away. This time that method just isnt working.

Here is what I know about the setup:

- The security bypass looks like a wire wrapped around the ignition. I can see I assume is a chip removed from a key taped "in line" to this wire

- The security light on the dash flashes when I try to start it (red, with a key in it)

- I tried calling the installer of the system and they would not give me any information over the phone. He wanted me to come in for a repair, but he did mention something about it being the tach wire.

- There is some sort of a bosch relay in the system. I cannot tell what it does.

I have done some research on this forum and through google and have tried the following things:

1. I did a number of processes to try to "relearn" the security bypass including:

- inserting and removing a known good key 6 times in 10 seconds, which enters some programming mode. I then hit the start button on the fob.

- trying the above mentioned method of letting the RS crank the engine and inserting various keys.

2. I found the tach wire and wiggled the connector. The installer used those clamp style connectors that slice into the wire. I also wiggled any other connections I could find.

3. I tried to do a tach learning method but was unsuccessful because I dont know exactly what i am doing.

I have looked all over the net to try and find an installation manual for this system. I cant find anything. The manuals I find dont seem to match to mine because when I look at the colors of the wires listed in the harness they dont match mine.

Can someone give me some insight into what the problem might be and how to fix it. An installation manual at the very least would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

labello71 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  

Can anyone help?

I have spent a ton of time trying to figure this out and my wife is just driving me nuts to get this fixed. Its freezing cold here and every time she has to start her car I hear about it.

x1le 
Copper - Posts: 171
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
Are you powering up both starter wires in the vehicle?
labello71 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  

X1le, I honestly cant answer that with any certainty. However I do believe so.

I can tell you that this remote starter worked just fine and nothing has been done to the vehicle that would disturb the wiring.

With that said, I have a multimeter and am proficient enough to check into the two starter question if someone could give me detailed instructions on how to check to make sure things are powering up fine.

From what I have read in the forums, I am almost positive that the relay in the system is meant to power the two start wires. The diagrams I have seen look like a direct mirror of the setup I have.

How would I double check to make sure both wires are powering?

x1le 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
How long has the remote start been installed?
The reason I ask is because many vehicles with 2 starter wires will still crank with only the first starter wire connected and run just fine in warm weather. You would never know until the weather gets cold, which leads me to think this could be your issue.
Double check your remote start is connected to the Gray and Light Green wires coming from the ignition harness.
But truly, you mentioned your installer is asking you to come in for repair. Why not take advantage of it?
labello71 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  

The RS has been in the truck since the first day we got it over 3 years ago. It was installed by the dealer (actually someone subcontracted by them) as part of the lease.

I just checked and this is only hooked to the light green wire coming out of the igntion, at that point. However if I look down at the kick panel, I see it is hooked up to the Gray wire down there. The wire looks to be the exact same color and gauge as the one coming out of the ignition, so I can only assume it is the same one. If it will help I can take pictures.

As far as the "cold" issue. I have a heated garage, and the tempurature does not seem to affect it. It also cranks just fine for a good 3 or 4 seconds. it just wont run.

I am convinced that it is a security issue. The red "car" with the key on it stays on solid when I try to start the vehicle with the RS.

As for taking it back to the installer: He says it is no longer covered under warranty, so I would have to pay him. This is a lease vehicle, and it is going back to Nissan in a 4 months, so I really dont want to spend any money on it I dont have to before I return it. I just want to get it through the next few months (without the wife moaning) and send it back.

Also, it cranks, and it has done this before with me being able to resolve it. So I hate to pay several hundred dollars to get it fixed when I feel it is probably an easy fix once you know how to do it.

Thanks for your help man.

x1le 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 3:48 PM / IP Logged  
Try this. Either hold the head of the key directly next to the key cylinder or insert the key in the key cylinder and try to remote start it.
labello71 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2010 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

Got it working!!!

I actually got a PM from a guy saying to wrap the bypass wire around the ignition more than once.

The chip was taped inside a loop of wire which ran up and around the ignition. I had enough slack in the wire from the relay to do two wraps around the ignition, and then that put the chip (taped in-line) right near the barrel. I found some bare metal on the barrel, and then I zip-tied it in place.

I am not sure if it was the double looping or the placement of the chip on the barrel, but man it works!!

Thanks for yor help. I really really appreciate it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic