icon

does fiberglass rot?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kuzz 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2010 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  
Hello, im new here! I just got my hands on a 1980 Ford RV, which is basically a fiberglass RV body on a ford van frame.
I have some pictures here of the fiberglass cabin, I am very concerned with the way it looks anywhere its been cut, it appears to be some sort of waffle, I have never messed with fiberglass at all, so I am not sure if this waffle is "normal" or not..but it sure appears bad!
Anyway here are the pics of what I am talking about,
This one you can see the waffle in the hole.
does fiberglass rot? - Last Post -- posted image.
and here you can see above the window to the left, some bad "waffling"
and finally a close up of the above.
Can anyone tell me if this looks "normal" for 30 year old fiberglass? or is something wrong?
Thanks!
itchyback 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2010 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  

My experience is mostly with boats but i have seen where water has got in and good fibrglass has gone bad. The result are some superstinky pockets of water and parting of layers of fibreglass leaving bulges and weakness. I cant really see much in your pictures but it doesnt really look right to me.

The fibreglass shouldnt really flex (unless its a large area) but probably about as much as you'd expect from similar thickness plastic, if you can see cracking in the coloured gel coat, if you can see pale/ white-ish speckly areas in uncovered fibreglass then someting gone wrong.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic