icon

seperate sirens

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
01trublugt 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  

Has anyone ever connected multiple sirens to 1 alarm. More specificly one siren that would cirp on arm and dis-arm and a secondary siren that would go off if the alarm was triggered?

I would like to use a small piezo to confirm arm/dis-arm but have a regular siren go off if the system is triggered. I don't want the piezo going off if the system is triggered as it is not that loud and it is just a continuous tone.

The only thing I can think of is set the alarm for silent arm/dis-arm and tie the piezo into the parking light flash but if the alarm is triggered then the piezo would beep everytime the lights flash. I could diode isolate the piezo so that it would not beep when I used my turning signals under normal driving I just can't think of how I could keep it from beeping if the alarm is triggered.

i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 06, 2010 at 9:34 PM / IP Logged  
This can be easily accomplished using 3 relays and a capacitor.  If you are interested, I can draw you a picture.
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2010 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
I would most certianly be interested. If its not too much trouble for you to draw it up that would be great. I appreciate it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2010 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  
You can do it off the lock/unlock using only 2 diodes but it would only bleep once each time.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 07, 2010 at 1:59 PM / IP Logged  
No problem and after thinking about it, I can do it with 2 relays.  I will draw a pic tonight.  But here is what needs to happen.  Siren output wire from alarm brain to 86 of relay 1.  Ground 85 of relay 1.  Connect Constant 12 volts to 30 of relay 1.  Connect a wire from 87 of relay 1 to 30 of relay 2.  .  87A of relay 2 connects to positive wire of the piezo element.  87 of relay 2 connects to siren positive wire.  Parallel a 4700 Microfarad capacitor across 85 and 86 of relay 2.  Also ground terminal 85 of relay 2.  It has been a while since I have delayed a relay.  We may have to play with resistor values in order to get the timing right.   You may have to find an electronics parts distributor in your area and purchase a few different values of 2 watt resistors.  Try a 100 Ohm, 220 ohm and 470 ohm.  Connect one of them from terminal 86 of relay 2 to terminal 30 of that same relay.  Set the alarm off and see how long it takes to switch from the peizo to the siren.  A larger resistor value will take longer for it to switch. 
01trublugt 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 07, 2010 at 2:29 PM / IP Logged  

I was just looking at a relay diagram to get an idea as to what you were explaining i am an idiot.

Just a thought... When the alarm is triggered is the input to the siren a constant 12v?

If so would the following work:

From parking light + to 30; piezo + to 87a

Siren + to 85

Tell me if I am wrong here with this

This is what I am seeing but again it is possible I am wrong here. When I arm/disarm the +12 pulse going to the parking light flash would cause the piezo to chirp 1 or 2 times accordingly. Then if the alarm is triggered the +12 from the siren output would energize the relay and break the connection from 30 to 87a taking the piezo out of the mix and only the siren would make noise. Now with the parking light connection if I run a wire from the alarm brain light output to the relay for the piezo and diode isolate it with one diode will that eliminate the +12 from getting to the piezo when I use the turn signals?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic