icon

1994 gmc yukon speaker problem

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
co_ne_dub 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 4:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hopefully the community can help me with this problem I have never encountered. I have replaced the headunit and added new Clarion 4x6's in dash of the Yukon. Problem now is that the all speakers are cutting out and only the sub is playing. When I removed the stock speakers, I noticed they were 9.5 ohm speakers, something I have never encountered. Do I need to add a resistor in line with the speakers?
When I disassembled the dash everything worked fine. That leads me to believe there is a short but I have not been able to locate it. Has anyone else run into something like this? I just want to be sure that I am looking for the correct problem area.
agraves1 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
I am assuming you replaced it with an aftermarket radio and not a factory replacement? Sounds like the radio may be going into protect mode so, that would mean that you have a blown speaker or a wire is grounding out somewhere. If it is an aftermarket radio, they are generally designed for four ohm speakers, so the set of clarion's shouldnt affect anything.
Or you could have a factory amp that is starting to go bad...did it have a premium sound system? Bose for example.
co_ne_dub 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 10:54 PM / IP Logged  
Thank for the quick response!
Yes we replaced the factory Radio with a Clarion CZ-200. I don't have a blown speaker as they all worked great after I took out the headunit to look for a short behind the dash.
I think my other option is to run new wire from the headunit to the 4x6's and bypass the harness for the front speakers. Sound good?
Would the antenna adapter touching bare metal have anything to do with this problem? It is the Scosche GM mini adapter.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 08, 2010 at 11:06 PM / IP Logged  
I have never seen a factory speaker wire go bad without some outside help. You really need to use an ohm meter to make sure you do not have a speaker terminal or wire touching ground.
The outer part of an antenna connection is connected to the chassis of the radio. It touching ground will not be a problem.
agraves1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
I agree ^^
I still believe you have a partially blown factory speaker. Disconnect the factory speakers at the headunit and play the radio with only the clarion's. I bet you will not have a problem. I am sure after you replaced your dash speakers you saw that it was made out of shoddy paper material. Your speaker could have been partially blown with your factory headunit, but it would go into protect because most likely it doesn't have a protect mode. If you use an ohm meter the speakers should read around their stated resistance(ohms). If all checks out fine I would connect one factory speaker at a time and then play it at a fairly high volume. If it is partially blown it may read okay because the connections may be fine while it is motionless. When the speaker starts to vibrate it may ground itself out, thus causing your radio to go into protect mode.
So try using an ohm meter, if available, then get back to us. They sell them at walmart if you need a cheap one just for this. Go digital because they are easier to read.
agraves1 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2010 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
A good digital multimeter is always a good thing to have. People spend hours trying to find out what's wrong with their system and then come to me and wonder how I fix it in minutes. Answer is: DMM!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic