icon

pci bus system in my 01 jeep possible?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
lwmajeed 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 12:05 AM / IP Logged  
Hey all, I'm kind of new to this and looking for advice and instruction. I'm tired of the look of my stock 01 radio in my jeep grand cherokee and found an 05 cherokee radio that I like a lot better! I was wondering if its even possible to use this in my 01 and if so how can i do it? I know the 05 is PCI bus, but i've been told its possible? Thanks in advance!
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
I do not know anything about a PCI bus, but you should be able to carry both radios into a stereo shop and purchase the 2 harnesses required to pull this off. You will need a Metra 70-1817 to plug into the factory wiring of your 01 vehicle. You will need a Metra 71-6502 that will plug into the 05 radio. Notice that the 6502 has a 71 and not a 70 as a prefix.
Once you get both of these, simply connect them together wire color to wire color. Insulate any left over wires on each plug. Connect the blue wires even if your vehicle does not have an electric antenna.
You may have to get somebody to order the 71 harness. Not a real big demand for those.
lwmajeed 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2011 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Ok sounds easy enough. Also I'm using the stock Infinity system with the infinity amp in my 01 Jeep grand cherokee. Everything mostly stock, is there anything I should worry about as far as the sound system working with this new 05 radio unit?
dasbogie 
Silver - Posts: 514
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
Fairly certain the 05 grand cherokee radio is can-bus turn on
Advanced
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Boogie is correct.  When I looked at the Metra page, they list the 71-6502.  This is the harness that plugs into the factory radio.  Not the one that connects to the car.  Metra does make a harness that will turn the can controlled amp on.  I do not know if it will help you though.

mfaust 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

PCI bus??? Its called Can Bus!! make a search before posting. im trying to install this radio into a non-can bus car. I got 2 radios at home right now. The REF with aux input  (worked first time and then stopped) and the RAQ (6 DISK . MP3). I know someone has done this swap for sure. i talked to him and he mention that he didnt need to hack the radio. Need proof?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCpmTozBMcY

ben d. 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: January 18, 2011 at 9:07 PM / IP Logged  
my only real question is why? I mean you can obviously do it with the proper harnesses but why? I mean the one from that video works but it looks bad. He could have gotten a new single din radio with more features and it would have looked a hell of a lot better.. Or gotten a factory lookalike radio that has the guts of an aftermarket. Which many companies do make these.
I would suggest just getting an aftermarket radio and making your life a hell of a lot easier. Also dash mods need to be done since those two radios are different chassis wise..
2008 Dodge Ram 1500
MECP Certified Advanced Installer CEA 191700

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic