icon

2000 deville radio problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thejushinator 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 11:33 AM / IP Logged  

I am trying to fix the radio in my Mom's Deville, but I am having quite a problem.

Here is the situation:

A week ago her radio just quit working. The radio was totally unresponsive, the only buttons that would register a response was the FF and RR buttons on the top left of the radio. That would let you pick your presets. No other buttons on the radio had any effect and yielded no response. I checked all fuses and they were all good so I decided to just purchase a factory replacement.

Factory replacement arrives that I know would have to be reprogrammed at the dealership. So when it arrives I install it and take it to the dealership to be programmed. They hook it up to there machine and said they could not get it to work. I asked them what was wrong and they didn't know... (This is a very small local dealer and to be honest I dont think they know what they were doing). But anyways when I am leaving the dealership I start playing with the radio and now it is the same as the other radio. The only buttons that get a response  are the FF and RR buttons on the top left of the radio, same thing just changes presets....

So then I decide I will just buy an aftermarket deck and install it, not so easy. From the research I am doing they dont even make aftermarket wiring or deck install kits for a 2000 deville.

Just looking for the easiest/cheapest way to get a cd player working in this car.....

yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2011 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
If you do an aftermarket radio in this vehicle you must run the factory radio to the back of the vehicle. There are a couple things the harnesses don't cover. One of them deals with the factory keyless.
However since you are running this to the back of the vehicle to cover data, you can use a cheap harness to wire it up. It is a 70-2001 that you need and need to run your ACC wire to the ignition switch or RAP circuit. You will also need a 71-2001 to plug into the factory radio in the back of the trunk, but only pinned for ground, 12v+, and data wires. And roughly around 16 feet of 4 different wires to tap into the factory harness.
Besides the mounting kit and antenna adapter you should be good to go. I would have a stereo shop install it preferably. Expect around $130 for labor and $60 in parts as a rough estimate. Depending on the shop of course. If they try to sell you a module harness, find another shop.
thejushinator 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2011 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  

What a load of poo poo, lol. That sucks. Guess I will have to just tell her to bring a portable am/fm reciever.... lol

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic