icon

viper 5101 in 2004 impala problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dennisw 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
Recently had a Viper 5101 Remote start/keyless system installed in my 2004 Impala. I had the work done by a DEI authorized dealer and have been having intermittent troubles ever since.
First was the parking lights not blinking when locking/unlocking, along with intermittent remote start operation. When triggering the remote start the headlights would flash, parking lights would come on, and the car would go thru all the motions of turning on the ignition, etc. but the starter would not crank.   This was an intermittent problem that the dealer claimed to have traced to a bad diode and replaced it.
Now the parking lights work properly with the lock/unlock functions, but every time the car is started with the remote the dash displays the warning "Service Vehicle Soon" (This is NOT the check engine light, its the multi-function display window at the bottom of the temp gauge). Also the intermittent starting problem has returned.
To be honest I'm starting to lose confidence in the knowledge of the installer. I will be returning to their shop tuesday morning to have this fixed once and for all hopefully or I am going to ask that the unit be removed and my money refunded.
I don't want to be the customer who tells the installer what to do but does this situation ring any bells with other installers that I might be able to offer some polite suggestions?   
dennisw 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
I'm not able to edit my original post but I did want to add that this Impala is a 9C1 police package vehicle if that makes any difference in this application.   (Yes, the installer was informed of this)
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 10:12 PM / IP Logged  
we'd need more information such as what kind of bypass module was used and if tach was hooked up etc. a lot of variables.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
yimke 
Copper - Posts: 417
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
Possibly a bad resistor to bypass the passlock II or bad connection on the resistors.
But again, more info.
dennisw 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2011 at 11:45 PM / IP Logged  
zerepdivad wrote:
we'd need more information such as what kind of bypass module was used and if tach was hooked up etc. a lot of variables.
drat, info not available to me, will try to find out.
thanks!
zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 25, 2011 at 1:58 AM / IP Logged  
dennisw wrote:
zerepdivad wrote:
drat, info not available to me, will try to find out.
thanks!
I imagine bypass module would be on some sort of receipt or invoice? or is this one of those shops that doesn't have those?
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
dennisw 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2011 at 11:59 PM / IP Logged  
Well, despite the model of the bypass unit not being on the invoice, the problem was indeed the bypass. DEI's dealer documentation lists what is supposed to be the correct unit for the vehicle, but when the installer called their tech support he was told "yeah, that one has some problems with that model car, try this (different) one.   Since then the remote start and keyless systems have worked flawlessly.
Thanks for the replies, sorry I couldn't have provided more information.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic