icon

how dependable is brake data input?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 27, 2011 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  

Well, got it figured out today- after a few hours of troubleshooting.  I read the ABS codes (could only do it when ABS lite was off though) had 17 - count them- 17 codes- first and foremost was lack of communication code with EBCM that SES lite had as well.... So with that in mind, (and at a time no ABS lights) I totally isolated R/S and INT-SL+ from vehicle (cut data wire to INT-SL2) and within a few minutes, the lites came back on.  So now I know the car is doing it by itself and it is just a coincidence it happens 2 wks after I install R/S.

The lack of ability to communicate on data lines led me to test all voltages and fuses at Electronic brake control module) EBCM- found an ignition hot not powered at all.  Gave it a bypass power and lights on dash go out--- traced wire to underhood fuse box- where I found all three big plug in connectors not screwed in tight- they were plugged in, but security screws were not attached- Plug actually fell out when i pulled up on fuse box.   So there you have it-- some mechanic somewhere forgot to tighten fuse box plug securing screws.  It's a wonder car never quit running- stranding someone!  That fuse box is only the central nervous system of the engine!

Bottom line- the data line from EBCM was unable to communicate when not powered- power was intermittent at unsecured fuse block connector- and R/S could not receive data by wire when communication ceases altogether- The question that still remains is- is brake line data still active when a single ABS code is set?  My guess is that it would still work-- My situation was the ABS lights were on due to an entire lack of data communication- heck the Tech II choked when the lights were on- got the message lack of communication.

What was really bad - was that when problem existed, the owner's wife experienced lack of headlights, because twilight sentinal does not allow headlights on when parking lights are on - when remote started-due to R/S being on- due to inability to shut off R/S with brake.  You could still turn on headlights manually though- this particular driver had never had to do it and was confused.

Thanks for all your help and input- hope this post helps someone else in the future.  Oh- and I did hardwire brake input, and it would shut off R/S when the ABS lites were on.

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic