icon

only want park lights to flash with alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tufnail 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 with a Viper 771xv (remote start/security). Every thing works great except for my lights. When the vehicle is in remote start mode my parking lights, headlights and fog lights all blink slowly at the same time. I would like only the parking lights to flash. It is wired by the light flash output to the WHITE/ lt green wire at the parking/head/foglight on-off switch/cabin/cargo light/console dimmer. I've tried 249, 330 and 1k ohm resistors with no luck in changing the flash. Do I have the correct wire and/or resistors?
Ronald Nail
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 18, 2011 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  

Are you using a relay to "open" the light circuit?

Also... there is a (POS)+ light wire to the left of the steering column. In a harness that runs up behind the OBD2 connector.

chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2011 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
I'd add to this that I've connected the (+) parking lights directly at the driver's headlight assembly on similar Rams before - the wire is BLACK / YELLOW and IIRC there are 2 or 3 10mm or 13mm bolts that hold the headlight in place.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2011 at 7:37 AM / IP Logged  

Yea, the reason for all the lights is the resistor. You have the correct size but if you don't isolate it from the switch it won't work. Notice that if you cut the WHITE/ green and connect the resistor to the wire they now work?

3 ways to fix it.

1- add a relay to isolate the resistor from the switch

2- go to a positive park light

3- is the way i do it, simply go thru my bag of different size resistors trying each(one side to the wire, one side to ground) until i find the correct size that only lights the parking lights. I usually get it once i go thru a dozen or so resistors. Find the right one and use that instead. I have done hundreds of Chryslers this way, never had one come back...

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic