weird remote start issue with 5902

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
steeda911 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2011 at 6:25 PM / IP Logged  

Hello all,

I just thought I would bounce this off of you guys and see if you have any hints or ideas you could send my way.   I am a previous installer (about 9 yrs experience).  Anyway I installed my 5902 in my 04 ford lightning.  Everything appears to be operating as it should except for one thing.  When I remote start the truck with "virtual tach" the truck starts as it should and never have any issues.  When I try to remote start the truck using the tach signal it will not start.  Well let me explain, the truck will start with the tach if the truck has already been started for the day but if the truck has sat overnight then it will not start with the tach signal.  When the truck as sat over night and I remote start it (when using the tach signal) it will not start on the first try but it will on the second try.  It is my understanding that when using the tach signal the truck will crank until it senses the truck running and then disengages the starter and does not crank for a lotted amount of time, like .6 seconds or so on.  Just so you know the 5902 does learn the tach signal and I am getting it at a injector. I have even tried a second injector just for doodies and jiggles.  I have also even tried starting the truck first thing in the morning with the key and reving up the rpm's a little and relearning the tach.  The alarm will always learn the tach.  Well if you guys have any ideas throw them my way.  I am sure I forgot something in my explanation so if you have any questions let me know.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. My alarm is barely 2 months old and I am already having issues with the 2 way remote.  It has a short in it and works only have of the time.  I tried calling dei and they will not warranty it without a receipt.  Well I know they won't being that I bought it off of ebay.  Anyway if you guys know of a way or if any of you can help me out with this please let me know.

Thanks again

Kris

t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2011 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
is it the first gen system?
steeda911 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2011 at 1:08 AM / IP Logged  

I am sorry if this makes me feel ignorant but how do I tell if it is the first gen?

Thanks

kris

zerepdivad 
Silver - Posts: 605
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2011 at 2:14 AM / IP Logged  
Fuel injector usually works for me on fords. might end up having to just leave it with virtual tach. just make sure you learn it properly. reset he unit for virtual tach and on the first remote start you do let it sit started until the parking lights come on. usually like 10-20 secondsish then shut it down with the fob.
A DMM is a beautiful thing.
MECP Advanced Installer Certified.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 03, 2011 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

if it works fine on V tach, what's the issue?  

i have had many Fords that i programmed to tach come back with cold start issues that i have had to reprogram to V Tach....  V tach should work fine.....

as far as your remote... sorry, you buy off ebay, you get what you get....  if you had supported a local Viper dealer you would already have a new remote in your hand....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
t&t tech 
Platinum - Posts: 2,601
Platinum spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2011 at 5:00 PM / IP Logged  
First generation units had seperate ports for the valet switch and the led whereas the second gen does not, it's all in one connector.
tony_g 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2011 at 3:19 PM / IP Logged  
my 5701 in a 98 taurus would not work correctly on tach signal from injector for some reason. it would learn the signal ok but when i remote started it it would also not start until the second attempt and it would release it about a second or thereabouts too early so it would be idling very low before it picked up to normal revs, on really cold mornings it would do all 3 attempts and time out which meant i would have to go out and start then put in valet takeover before running back in to the warm lol. i tried another injector but still did the same so i connected it to the tach wire behind the instrument panel re-learned signal and now it works first time every time and will keep cranking until the the engine bites properly even when the temp drops to -35c overnight. might be worth switching your tach wire to the instrument panel as it sounds 100% like what mine was doing and it fixed it.
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2011 at 11:32 AM / IP Logged  
A better idea tony-g but the original poster should make sure of the wiring at the rear of the panel, Euro Fords use CAN data for the gauges only about 5 wires feeding everything, in fact the last time I did a Sat-Nav in a Lightning, I needed to use a CAN adaptor for the VSS.
steeda911 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2011 at 12:42 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the input guys. I don't mind using the v-tach and yes I made sure I learned it right but I really wanted to use the tach wire to protect it from over reving. I guess what confuses me about this is I had a viper 791xv in the truck and just pulled that out to put in the 5902. I am using the same tach wire the 791xv was using and I had no issues with that alarm remote starting. Maybe the 5902 has some different tolerances. Sorry if I offended some of you about not buying or supporting a local dealer and buying my alarm from them. I know the chances you take from buying dei products online but I really don't like others working on my stuff and reall could not beat the price. Oh and yea my 5902 is newest gem alam and had the valet and led built into one. Well once again if anyone can help me with getting this remote warrantied I would appreciate it and if not it is what it is and I will buy another one.
Thanks
Kris

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic