icon

battery light when cold

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
james734 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2011 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
Hopefully someone up here can help me out. I had a Compustar FT-6000AS-CONT (I think that's the model) with RF-P2W9000-SS along with the Drone module installed in a 2006 F350 diesel. Every since the installation the battery light will do a couple on/off cycles first thing in the morning when started with the key. Throughout the rest of the day it's fine. So it's something when it's cold.
At first I thought maybe it was the batteries in the vehicle. Had them tested and they test out fine and I've never had problem starting etc. Had the charging system checked out and it was fine also. So as a test I removed the brain and Drone from the system vehicle. I've tested it for a few weeks now and don't see the condition any more. I've taken it back to the installer and they've checked things over and of course cannot duplicate the problem.
Does anyone up here have any idea's what the problem could be? I took it to a reputable dealer to avoid these issue. If I wanted to screw with it myself I would of installed it myself. But so far I think it's taken more of my time.
brcidd 
Copper - Posts: 274
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2011 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  

Does battery light stay on for any length of time?  Next time it is on, increase engine rpm a few 100 rpms- see if light goes off. 

Diesels are known to run slower than gas engines and at idle, the alternator is prone to be underpowered- hence the voltage drop and sebsequent battery light.  I've seen it fluxuate lights with changes in blower motor speeds

If light just flickers a tad, there is probably nothing to worry about- and just consider it a "diesel thing".

There are some systems out there that keep the alternator "offline" for 10-15 seconds after engine start, to reduce the load on engine to help keep the engine running- when it is cold out.  Maybe this is one of them.

Brcidd - Engineer That Does Remote Starter Installs on the side.
james734 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2011 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
Engine RPM has no bearing on it tired it. Just does it's on/off cycle 4-5 times after start.
When the brain & drone modules are disconnected and removed from the vehicle the problem is gone. I've drove the trunk now for over 2 weeks with it removed no problem. Put the brain & drone back in first start I got the light. Removed it and problem gone.
Like you at first I thought it was batteries or Alt problem. But once I had everything checked out the only option and most recent change to the vehicle was the addition of the Alarm/RS/Drone modules. And based upon my tests I believe the Alarm/RS/Drone is where the problem lies.
james734 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 04, 2011 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
And thanks for the response.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic