icon

2005 dodge ram, alarm

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reddyfire 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 1:23 AM / IP Logged  
I own a 2005 dodge ram 1500 pickup. It comes with a regular key no remote. i can unlock all doors by hitting the switch inside on the door panels (driver/passanger). After much research i have figured that i have a single wire door lock type.
(quote from directwire 2.0: "Power Lock PURPLE / dk. green - DKP or cluster, sml gry plug, pin 3 Notes: Lock is negative trigger thru an 820 ohm resistor. Unlock is negative trigger thru a 330 ohm resistor. MUST use relays"). Im trying to install an Audiovox Prestige APS25C alarm system into my truck. The alarm system has a red wire (-lock/+unlock) and a green wire (+lock/-unlock).
Now here comes the part im stuck with:
how do you use a relay with a diode and a resistor and still hook up to the single door lock wire? if anyone can assist im eternally grateful. please keep in mind i have never installed a car alarm system before and i have a basic knowledge of wiring and electronics in general.
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 11:39 AM / IP Logged  

Heres a link to do it with diodes and resistors. No relays needed this way. Just make sure you use the correct resistors. The link shows a Dodge Caravan and the resistor values are different.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram38.html

I would use at least a 2amp diode if not larger.

reddyfire 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 12:08 PM / IP Logged  
how would you use relays in this particular setup? i have about 4 of them laying around... (regular 30a car relays that is)
blanx218 
Silver - Posts: 654
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 14, 2011 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  

Using a relay would go as follows:

1. pins 86 and 87 to ground

2. red lock wire to pin 85, green unlock wire to 85. (Although they will be used for opposite functions this way)

3. on the relay with the red wire put a 330 ohm resistor in-line on a piece of wire to connect to the PURPLE / green

4. on the relay with the green wire put the 820 ohm resistor in-line on a piece of wire to connect to the PURPLE / green.

5. twist the 2 wires together, connect them to the PURPLE / green and solder your connection

rjkboyle 
Copper - Posts: 97
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  
Heres a diagram for the wiring of the two relays.
Just use the resistors you listed.
But this is how it will all get wired up.
http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/extrainfo/diagrams/14301_RAM-FULL-SIZE-PICKUP-_DODGE%20RAM%2004-05%20WIRE%20ALERT%20SHELBY%20UNITS.pdf
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
You MUST use relays. The lock outputs are not enough (current capacity) to overcome the resistors.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic