the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2 10 audiobahns, 1 ported, 1 sealed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sthrnbmpn 
Copper - Posts: 70
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2011 at 1:03 AM / IP Logged  
hello fellow 12vltr's. im kind of noob but can hold my own (imo), but my question is what are the pros and cons of putting 1 of my 10's in a 40hz slot ported box and the other in a 1 ft3 sealed box side by side? theyre audiobahn dvc 4ohm 10's wired to 2ohm each, theres 400 watts stamped on the magnet , so im assuming its a max rating. the amp is a crossfire vr602 300 watts to each channel at 2 ohms. its all going in our 08 grand caravan (the fam van).im trying to get the rite combo of sq/spl. currently its bridged to a single 12" svc 4 ohm mtx thunder8000 in a mtx jackhammer box jh45, and its sounds awesome most of the time , but it seems to be missing it here and there (midbass?) at low to mid volumes.all feedback will be greatly appreciated and absorbed like a sponge .
1000 watts of lp, now need sum hp an mids
sthrnbmpn 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2011 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
btw audio bahn AWC10Q 400 watts 4ohm dvc , most peeps say im describing a bandpass . but i was also thinking instead of placing them side by side in the rear , put the sealed box (rt chnnl)in the 2nd row stow-n-go   compartment and the left channel (ported) in the rear compartment of van.           i know it mite sound like overkill on my part but im wanting to get all i can squeeze outta this sub system, it still has factory h.u. , door and rear pillar 6x9's with no complaints there. so in the next few weeks im gonna toy with the side by side option since i have the 40 hz slot box, but the 2nd opt. is gonna require a custom box build for the 2nd row compartment.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 20, 2011 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

Your sign-off, "trial n error", is entirely appropriate when you are trying to find something that sounds good using Audiobahn subs.  You should keep them both in the same type alignment as there is no such thing as combo sq/ spl.  With these subs you are only able to attempt spl.  Keep both close to each other so that each's waves will reach the listener at about the same time.

With trial and error you may find a box size and tuning freq that suits you and the car.  Try to build experimentally, with some adjustment of tuning freq.  With Audiobahns, it's hard to pinpoint accurate parameters for box modeling.

With that in mind, these are subs that we're talking about, not bass or midbass.  If there is something lacking in what you hear musically, it's the other speakers in your system that need to be improved.  Also, the car's metal skin itself may need better damping applied.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sthrnbmpn 
Posted: March 21, 2011 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  
bamm! now theres some info that is exactly what i was asking for. adjustable tuning! it never crossd my mind but i do have a 1.25 cube dual 10" box (a good start point)with 2.75" round ports 2" long, but i got 4' of 2.75" round stock for changing freq. from a roll of plastic we use at work. so now i got a solid lead to work on, thanx dart. sound dampening will be pretty pricey on a mini van so thatll be next years project. and i thought subs were all about bass and midbass, im gonna have to study up on my terminology or maybe im not understanding what dart meant, but yes it could be the factory system . i could just scrap the audiobahn project all together and stick with the bridged mtx 12 , but im gonna give it a fair shake cause i already have some ideas ive put sum brainstormng into
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: March 21, 2011 at 9:09 PM / IP Logged  

That's the kind of spirit I like to see on this forum.  Work out your sub project, and keep your other upgrades in mind for the future.  MIdbass comes from the front soundstage speakers, usually 6.5's in the doors along with separate tweets, powered by a separate amp.  With factory speakers, you're stuck with 7 octaves of music that can't compete with the improved sub bass that you have added.

The crossover of subbass to bass is generally 80 Hz.  Midbass is up another two octaves from that (at about 400 Hz) and takes the soundstage all the way to the tweeters' territory at min. 3000 Hz.  Midbass can be reproduced accurately with a 4" speaker.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
sthrnbmpn 
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  
i hate to sound like i was running blind with my original post, but now im thinking of changeing a few things from my original outline. the 1-12" jh45 box is big and bulky, so im gonna be building a downfire box one thats 6" short and make up for it with LxW.id like to keep the same tuning,im gonna post pics of before and after, everyone likes pics as much as i do. i never thought about how the factory system cant compete with the added subbass. but it makes complete sense thanx again dart! so if im reading this right,80 hz sub,400hz in the rear pillars then 3000hz in the door? ill probly go with 2 or 3 way for the door speakers. this means im gonna need a x-over to get that kind of tuning right? i kinda regret buying the audiobahns now lol, i could of picked up a nice set of door & 6x9's. p.s. great info for people who take the extra step
sthrnbmpn 
Posted: March 22, 2011 at 9:45 AM / IP Logged  
so my next project is building the single 12" box, im trying to duplicate the tuning of the jh45 box which im assuming is 45hz. then the next step is replacing front door speakers then onto the rear pillars. the 4 channel amp is way down on the list somewhere around soundproofing. is there such a thing as removable sound deadener by the time i finish all my upgrades my wife and i will be in the market for a battery powered grand caravan, which is only a few years away
sthrnbmpn 
Posted: April 10, 2011 at 11:15 PM / IP Logged  
so ive been bored lately and decided to try the audiobahn 10's in the side by side set up,"1 ported, 1 sealed" the ported box is ae kv10s tuned to 42 hz.
not very crisp or clear and cant handle too much power together, then i hooked them up one at a time, just ti hear the difference between the two.
and as most of u know already the ported box was louder but the sealed box had a wider range of bass to it, at least i thought so with a few song tracks ive been listening to lately, they do not compare to the single 12 mtx box
now that i got the audiobahn experiment out of my system, im getting back to my 6x9 door speaker replacement then the rear 6x9's after that, ive seen some blaupunkts at my usual pawn shop, theyve been on the shelf for awhile but are NIB and priced to sell. im not able to post pics yet, but one day fellas , one day

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic