icon

q logic kick panel cancelation

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2011 at 11:14 AM / IP Logged  

<"Arial" >I just finished installing a pair of Q logic kickpanels in my 2005 accord coupe with a set of 5.25 inch infinity coaxials perfectly tuned to my preference and they sound great. I then tuned my after market infinity kappa components located in my front door with tweeters mounted near the window sill and they sound amazing as well. Both sound great independently but when all four speakers are playing they sound terrible. Can someone explain? Am I experiencing sound cancelation? Is this because I have tweeters coming from two different locations? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 08, 2011 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
Are you sure one set isn't out of phase? try reversing the wires on one set...
Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
bloob 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2011 at 2:02 PM / IP Logged  
you could make it all sound good together, but you wont like the how-to part.
here's some thoughts.
first, only 1 set of tweets for the front. Also more speakers playing the same frequency range from different places does not equal better sound in a vehicle.
go to a three way passive crossover, set the 6.5's in door to do 50-500hz range and let the kick panels finish off the frequency spectrum. set the bottom end of the kick panel at 500hz, top end at 2.5 khz and let the kickpanel tweeter go from there. I'm sure there will be some adjusting here.
you said the kickpanels are coax, so you could potentially move your a-pillar tweets down to the kick panel and defeat/disable the tweeter in the 5.25 speaker.
--
other then that you will have to consider getting a time alignment device or sound processor to blend all the different signals coming from different places to one coherent stereo source for your ears.
MikeHusain 
Copper - Posts: 139
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2011 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  

Mike M2 - They are definitely not out of phase, yet i still tried just to see and i didn't notice much difference.

bloob - This sounds like a good idea, however the infinity tweeter that is mounted in the window sill will leave a big whole and i have nothing to cover it up with. I think I'll just purchase a really high end component set for the kick panels and compeletly disable the door speakers.

Option #3 - What if I get rid of the coaxial completely, and move the mid range from the component (located in door at the moment) and place it in the kick panel? Would this probably sound better? Now i will just have 1 set of speakers however the tweeter and mid will be even furtther away from each other now.  I read in some forums that the tweeter and midrange should be as close to eachother as possible??

Thanks for all your advice!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic