icon

led relay and diode

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wascapsfan 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2011 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 99 corvette. I have red and amber led strips in the coves running separately. I have the red led's attached to the fog lights (they come on with the parking lights anyway, and the amber led's hooked up to the 5 contact relay (#30,85,86,87,87a) going to the turn signals (the amber led's flash alternately in relation to the actual turn signal).
Right now I am only using # 85 for a ground,#86 is hooked up to the high power side of the turn signal, and 87a is hooked up to the led.
What I want to do is have the red cove led light on whenever the parking lights are on but I also want them to cut off if I turn the turn signal on and then come back on when the turn signal is off. I have a single pole double throw relay on each side of the car.
I have also heard that diodes are a good thing to use. Don't know much about them other thtn they serve as a one way street for currant.
Any info would be helpful
Thanks
Be part of the solution not part of the problem!!!
wascapsfan 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2011 at 8:44 AM / IP Logged  
How is it that NO ONE has an answer to this question on any board.
Am I the first person on earth to try this???
Be part of the solution not part of the problem!!!
awdeclipse 
Copper - Posts: 285
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2011 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
You could use something similar to a pulsed to steady output to interrupt the red while the turn signals are on.
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram22.html
One way is to use a relay to control the RED LEDs off of the FOG light hooked up via NC terminal 30-->87a and then you can use the steady output from the pulsed to steady relay to power the relay to open the circuit feeding the RED LEDs while the turn signals are on.
Hopefully that is enough to get you started.
ac0j 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 10, 2011 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  
Use another relay to open The "fog" lights led, when the turn signals are on. You will have to tap turn signal BEFORE the flasher.
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2011 at 1:18 AM / IP Logged  

led relay and diode - Last Post -- posted image.

awdeclipse wrote:
You could use something similar to a pulsed to steady output to interrupt the red while the turn signals are on.
https://www.the12volt.com/relays/relaydiagram22.html
One way is to use a relay to control the RED LEDs off of the FOG light hooked up via NC terminal 30-->87a and then you can use the steady output from the pulsed to steady relay to power the relay to open the circuit feeding the RED LEDs while the turn signals are on.
Hopefully that is enough to get you started.

John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
zabes 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged  
I'm trying to do the same thing, where can I get a 10K Capacitor? I have the white and amber strips and I tried wiring it with a 2200uf Capacitor and that didn't work as the turn signal alternated on and off with the white.
I tried it 2 ways:
Turn Signal - w/ the Capacitor / resistor grounded part to 86
85 was grounded
87A to the white lights
30 to 12V
I also tried with
87 12V on Relay 1 with the Capacitor at 86
30 on Relay 1 going over to 86 on a Relay 2 where the white light was connected as 87A.
I couldn't get it to keep from the colors alternating.
Also am I missing something with the Polarization markings in the diagram, is there something that needs to be there or is it still going to ground and just denoting that it is positively polarized?
Thanks for any help!
(My Setup is a 3 wired (WHITE/ amber/ground) dual color amber/white strip) when the amber is on the white is off.
zabes 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2011 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, I figured out that I was missing the Diodes, hopefully that will fix the problem.
zabes 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 10:44 AM / IP Logged  
Ok got it working, thanks. Used a 2200+4700uf Capacitor and now when my turn signal flashes the LED strip flashes yellow and 1 sec after they turn off the whites come back on like the Audi Q7.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic