g37 parking brake for drl

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stclaus37 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2011 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hey Kevin
So got my lights working again and without blowing a fuse. It was a blown fog light, I didn't have to open each one of them but took a look at them from the front of the headlight where its visible. Noticed that one of the lights looked burnt a bit, so got a replacement and it worked.
so that worked out fine as I tested with just factory fog connections. Relay connections are not, btw I haven't got the relay from parking brake yet.
pin 30 to fogs
pin 87 to fogs from IPDM
pin 85 to headlight Lo
pin 86 to ground
pin 87a to IGN source.
for some reason fogs come on all the time, and even if reverse 87 to 87a. If I take out the ground while they're on, the fogs turn off.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged  
Have you verified that the relay is working properly? 87A should be to fogs from IPDM and pin 87 should be IGN source although that shouldn't make much of a difference with the problem you are having.
When you say the fogs are on ALL the time, do you mean even with the ignition off?
Have you verified that you can hear the relay "click" when you toggle the headlights on and off?
Kevin Pierson
stclaus37 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  

I tried two relays of same brand and same result. Right now my IGN source is from the car battery, fused at 15A. Later on I'll use the Wiper motor pin that outputs battery voltage on IGN from IPDM.

With IGN ON, the fogs are on all the time with the setup mentioned above. They only turn off if I remove the ground, so I guess this does show that the coil in the relay gets powered when running the Headlight Lo thru Pin 85.

And there is a click with headlights ON and OFF. I must be doing something wrong.

I'll try one thing at a time once I get home this evening.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 10:24 AM / IP Logged  
If your "IGN" source is from the battery then it is NOT an "IGN" source it is a "battery" source. "IGN" implies only powered when the ignition is on.
With battery voltage applied to 87A your fog lights will ALWAYS be on, even with the car off. When you turn the head lights on the fogs would stay on IF you had the fog light switch in the "ON" position.
Kevin Pierson
stclaus37 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  

True that the fog lights will be always ON with battery source, except when Headlights are ON but Fogs are OFF, but they're ON.

I ruled out fog functionality from IPDM because they work with factory connections,

I ruled out relay because coil switching works. I'll check my connections for the fogs coming from the IPDM.

stclaus37 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2011 at 10:03 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Kevin
So I got everything working, it was probably loose connection somewhere with the relay.
pin 30 to fogs
pin 87 to fogs from IPDM
pin 85 to headlight Lo
pin 86 to ground
pin 87a to IGN source
as before
fogs are ON when IGN is ON
fogs remain ON when headlights are ON
fogs are OFF when parking are ON
fog switch has no function. Apparently this is the way it works as per this post http://myg37.com/forums/audio-video-and-electronics/188175-how-to-hook-up-daytime-running-lights.html
look at 'Mid-life crisis' last post on that page.
When I tested the light functions with US car factory setup, fogs retain the factory functionality i.e. ON/OFF with Headlight but I had left and right connected separately. I'm thinking something to do with the matrix logic, if left and right fogs are connected together they might lose that function !!
Not sure why the fogs remain ON .
Btw, what is the best source for IGN, right now I'm using wiper motor (pin 88) of IPDM and it was suggested somewhere not to use switched source of IPDM.
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic