icon

astro vs viper

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 02, 2011 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  

i am hoping some Astro guys can chirp up here.... i just brought Astro in as a second R/S line and i find the install guides very confusing (over-complicated)... i have been doing Viper and Clifford for 15+ years and are very familiar with how they do things... i was hoping that Astro being in the same family would be very similar but it doesn't seem to be....

the first few things i notice (besides the overly-complicated install/programming guide and a unit brain the size of a fax machine)

how do i program or select between Tach, voltage and Virtual tach modes?    i didn't see a setting for that with the Multitest tool... there are many times i don't use tach in an install....i don't even see a voltage sense or V-tach setting.....

if i do use tach, how does it program... i do see a setting for "automatic tach learning"... does it automatically learn and store this value once the vehicle is started? (with the Viper units i press and hold the valet switch in the ant until the LED comes on... so i know it took)

is the run time not programmable? with the Viper units using the Bitwriter it is programmable from 1-90 minutes-whatever the customer wants...can i only choose between 4, 8, 18 minutes?

it seems the 2nd ACC, 2nd Ign output (P5) is not part of the main harness but a separate bank that you have to manually connect wires to? (seems like a lot of extra wiring)

the doorlock harness has 6 wires (built in 451M)... i am used to the Vipers small 2 wires harness (lock & unlock... so simple)  do i really need to connect multiple wires for a simple negative locks or still just the 2 wires?  (seems like a lot of extra wiring)

if i am installing these in a manual tranny vehicle i need to buy extra parts/module?    the Viper has all the capability built in.....

does the Multitest automatically write feature changes to "all" remotes? is this selectable?  with the Bitwriter you have to select 0 to write to all remotes or you can select which remote the features are changed for.... (wife wants Ign controlled doorlocks, hubby doesn't, etc)

my biggest confusion is setting up tach or voltage sense... which is the first thing i usually do when i've installed a unit....so it has some reference point when testing....
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2011 at 10:01 AM / IP Logged  
Kevin I can't answer all your questions because I don't know the product, unfortunately we only get some of the DEI range (not 5902) and not enough by-passes here.
Ref: 6 wire locks or built in relays, I hate two wire systems, especially flip-flops, they were designed IMO to keep the diode industry in business, 451 = yet another way for the thief to trace back to the brain!
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2011 at 10:04 AM / IP Logged  
also I think you should have looked at Autopage.
kgerry 
Posted: June 02, 2011 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
err... ahhh... thanks....    hopefully someone who is actually familiar with the product will have something constructive to contribute.....
Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 5:10 AM / IP Logged  
Just remove your head from where the sun doesn't shine, I've been installing alarms since early 70s. I told you I couldn't answer some of your questions but there was no reason to be facetious about it.
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Posted: June 03, 2011 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged  
Are there really no Astro installers on here? I'm curious myself to read the answers. Based solely on your first post I don't think I would be interested in installing an Astro product!
Kevin Pierson
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 06, 2011 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  

I ahve sold and installed Astro for 10 years. and quit about 2 years ago. It was more hobby than business. I dealt with the DEI influence as long as I could

The product when it was made in Canada, was ROCK SOLID! Tech support.... second to NONE! No waiting on hold (wasting time and money) they call you back!!

The Astro's of my day (pre DEI) you had one option on tach.... tach, no voltage sense etc....and yes, auto learn. You CAN however reduce/increase tach (crank time)

Run times are programmable in 4 steps 2 to 18 min. Runtime doubles in deisel setting.

The p-5 is way cool.... it's a built in programmable relay (controlled internally) the 2 wires (3 poss. connections) are 87, 87a, and 30 of a standard relay!

The door locks.... again, brilliant in my opinion. Yes, a built in 451. No weak grounds etc... you must make good connections or it just will not work.

To do manual trans you will need the interface parts.... unless DEI has changed that too!

My multitest unit did NOT "write" the transmitters, it only changed the fuctions/programming, on the brain. XO's were programmed manually. They would however, all do car 1 and car 2!

I rarely used my mutitest for initial programming, primarily as a multi meter tach tool. If features needed to be changed AFTER the install.... multi tool to the rescue. No digging out the brain.

kgerry, you are a smart guy, if you give this product the same time and attention you gave your tried and true DEI "stuff" you will be sold.  It has been years for me so I am far out of the loop

I havent purchased ANY of the latest stuff, and I have let my tech program "go" So I am no more help than that. Hope it helped......

kgerry 
Posted: June 06, 2011 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

thanks.... i am starting to get it all figured out... i think the most confusing part for me was looking for terminology or info that wasnt there...

i kept looking for... learned tach confirmation (not there).. voltage sense or V-tach mode (not there) (since i do a ton of vehicles with OE anti-grind on voltage mode)

etc, etc.... i'm sure once i grind thru the first 4-5 units i install and get used to Astro "logic" i will like them as a second brand....  the manual referring to all the dipswitches i find confusing as hell... i plan to use the Multitest III to change things, just like i use the Bitwriter.....

Kevin Gerry
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic