icon

my setup

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
1qwk96gt 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2013 at 1:04 PM / IP Logged  
how do I check the ohm load on the subwoofer coil? Is there any way to repair a blown amp? or are they not worth it? I saw a little rust on the speaker wire hookup on the amp but I am thinking my dmm was still reading zero because the amp maybe bad? would the RCA ground repair I did become faulty over time?
Thanks
1qwk96gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2013 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody? Im lost and I miss my woofer my setup - Page 3 - Last Post -- posted image.
tbjoe 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2013 at 9:58 AM / IP Logged  

If you have a DMM, set it to read ohms. Then place the leads on the speaker wires at the amp or at the sub. It should read around the 4ohm mark. if you get O.L. on the screen, the voice coil is out on the sub. If everything measures good, trim the speaker wire back and get a good connection going to your amp and try again.

More than likely, a transistor went out on the circuit board. Smell the amp and if it smells like burnt electonics, there's your answer. Something also could've come loose, so you could take it apart and check for that. While you have it open, look for any areas that have corrosion. Even small amounts can cause havoc for the amp.

IMO, if you have had that amp for 11 years, you got your money's worth and it is time for an upgrade. There are many models out there that will drive that sub for very little money.

1qwk96gt 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM / IP Logged  
okay so I found out the amp was bad. I hooked up another amp and it works. My question is with grounding the outer case of the RCA to the external ground of the head unit could this of burnt up my amplifier? I remember you guys said ground the rca outer case of the head unit and it worked could this of anyway over powered or burned up my amp? Sorry for being so difficult I just got another amplifier and I do not want to prematurely burn it up because of my jerry rigged head unit.
Thanks,
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM / IP Logged  
1qwk96gt wrote:
okay so I found out the amp was bad. I hooked up another amp and it works. My question is with grounding the outer case of the RCA to the external ground of the head unit could this of burnt up my amplifier? I remember you guys said ground the rca outer case of the head unit and it worked could this of anyway over powered or burned up my amp? Sorry for being so difficult I just got another amplifier and I do not want to prematurely burn it up because of my jerry rigged head unit.
Thanks,
No, that can't damage an amp. More likely is you do not have your gain set properly or your system voltage is dropping and the amp does not have an adequate protection circuit.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic