icon

new led tail lights are causing issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sullivan91 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2011 at 4:47 PM / IP Logged  
I just purchased a set of LED tail lights for my dodge ram, they are giving me three issues.
1: My viper alarm system is now saying a door is open after I arm the system. May be caused by the below issues.
2. The 3rd brake light, 2 led bulbs stay dimmed but not fully lit after I lock the truck.
3. The truck is getting a code saying high voltages are being drawn from both rear tail circuits.
What can I do to fix this issue. Do i need to place some resistors or something lol. My alarm was fine before this issue.
mustyk@att.net 
Copper - Posts: 132
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2011 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  
The BCM is monitoring the resistance of the tailights so make sure the aftermarket lights match the reistance of the factory ones otherwise it could throw a code
thetopinstaller
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 03, 2011 at 10:38 PM / IP Logged  
mustyk@att.net wrote:
...the aftermarket lights match the resistance of the factory ones otherwise it could throw a code
... which is why it is pointless replacing lamps with LEDs - ie, match your system first (without high-power ballast resistors)!
But this sounds more like leaks - why would brake light receive power with IGN off etc, and why would taillights effect car doors?
KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 04, 2011 at 1:43 PM / IP Logged  
If you don't have any resistors I would start there. Just keep in mind that they will get REALLY hot and you need to mount them in a place where they won't melt anything or start a fire.
Kevin Pierson
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2011 at 5:47 PM / IP Logged  
KPierson wrote:
If you don't have any resistors I would start there. Just keep in mind that they will get REALLY hot and you need to mount them in a place where they won't melt anything or start a fire.
What kind of resistors am I looking at getting?
You guys need to understand, these tail lamps are MADE for my truck. But they have resistors in them that is different then the factory tail lights.
The factory tail lights DONT have resistors in them like these. And the only reason these have resistors is because they are LED tail lights.
So If I could get some professional help on what I need to do that would be great.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2011 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
LEDs usually have series resistors to drop voltage...
KP is referring to a BIG resistor or 20W or more that is put in parallel so that it looks like the same load as a LED.
I usually recommend that people use a bulb instead of the resistor since that won;t get quite as hot (5% cooler), and they seem to be cheaper and easier to get, and last longer.
Do you lights have a heavy resistor? Do they take Amps, or merely milli-Amps (ie, 20-100mA)?
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 04, 2011 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
All is fixed now. Thanks
speakermakers 
Copper - Posts: 231
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2011 at 12:55 AM / IP Logged  
What was the fix?
sullivan91 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2011 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
speakermakers wrote:
What was the fix?
I finished wiring up the remote start portion and it seemed to fix that issue.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic