icon

rear fill

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
knotdrummer88 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 2:44 AM / IP Logged  
for the rear fill in my jeep what would work better 4 6x9's or 4 4x6's? I'm asking because i already have one set of 4x6's from my previous vehicle, but i was looking originally to do 4 6x9's in my jeep.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 27, 2011 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
Well... first of all why are you using 4 speakers for "rear fill"?  Not a good idea IMO... In any case, there is very little difference between 6X9s and 4X6's just because of the size.  The brand and type of speaker and how you are powering them makes a LOT more difference to how it sounds than the size.  What are your plans?
Support the12volt.com
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 28, 2011 at 11:14 PM / IP Logged  
well i have an american pass 400.4 that puts out 100 watts per channel at two ohms, and i was planning on powering four speakers for the rear fill and two for the front stage. and also why would you say that is a bad idea?
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
and the 6x9's i was looking at was fosgate and he 4x6's are polkas. i can't remember the exact models right off hand
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 29, 2011 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
I say it's a bad idea for many reasons, the most important being that having the same program material coming from two different speakers often leads to cancellation and distortion, but also because if you care about SQ you really don't want "rear fill" to dominate your sound field.  What are you using for your front main speakers?
Support the12volt.com
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 8:36 AM / IP Logged  
two jvc 51/4" off of the same amp, and also the rear speakers would be matched, they would be the same speakers, not mixed
DYohn 
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
So the majority of the sound will be coming from behind you.  If that's what you want, go for it. 
Support the12volt.com
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
what you are doing is rear stage not rear fill... its the difference between someone who lives in the realm of sound quality and someone who just likes sound in general.
anyway, the only difference you will probably notice between a 6x9 and a 4x6, all other variables being roughly equal, is obviously you will notice more bass from a 6x9. is this an open soft shell jeep?
knotdrummer88 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2011 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
ahh, ok. and its not rag top. its a 98 cherokee
DYohn 
Posted: August 31, 2011 at 11:30 AM / IP Logged  
Ignoring the wisdom (or lack thereof) of putting speakers behind your head, you are planning to operate three pairs of 4-ohm speakers from one 4-channel amp, right?  How do you plan to wire them?
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic