icon

amp recommendations

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hoamskilet 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2011 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  
After several years being out of the game I'm finally in the planning stages for my truck. I'm looking for some suggestions for my amps. The amount of choices to sift through is overwhelming on top of the fact that some companies that were good a few years ago aren't anymore and visa versa. I need a sub amp and a 4 channel amp. I think the sub amp will be a bit harder to find, so my initial goal is to decide on that and then get a matching 4 channel (yeah, may be goofy, but i'd like em to match). Here's some characteristics I'm looking for:
Around 1000 watts @ 2 ohms for the sub amp
The more efficient the better
The smaller the better (will be going under the back seats of a quad cab truck)
Shooting for less than $500 for the sub amp (ideally closer to 3-400) As much as I'd like to go top shelf with it, I am trying to keep the cost as low as possible without getting into cheap crap.
suggestions?
gandalf91 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 3:12 AM / IP Logged  
I'm a bit less experienced than most of the other folks around here, but Rockford Fosgate has a good rep and I personally own two of their amps. They provide exceptional clarity of sound. They also provide the birth sheets with their amplifiers, and the testing often shows them performing substantially beyond rated spec. (Yes, it is a controlled environment, but the results are still pretty impressive.)
Anyway, I'll just throw in my two cents until someone comes along with something possibly better.
http://www......com/item_25132_Rockford-Fosgate-T1000-1bdCP.html#tabs
I'm not sure how much power you want/need for the rest of your speaker setup. This will get you 60W RMS x4 at 4 ohms or 100 x4 at 2 ohms.
http://www......com/item_9102_Rockford-Fosgate-Power-T400-4-Black-Box.html
The next model up in the Power series provides 100W RMS and 150W RMS depending on the load impedance, but jumps to $400. There is also the Punch series which I own, which are very dependable as well. The P400-4 I own pushes 100W RMS x4 for 2 ohm loads and is only about $220.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2011 at 3:48 AM / IP Logged  
hoamskilet - do you mean 1000W RMS?
Or like most others, do you mean 500W RMS etc?
Remember that 1000W RMS at full output means about 100A input (or 50A for 500W).
So don't forget to factor in an alternator upgrade and the Big-3 etc - and maybe a second battery (AGM) - depending on how you want to use it.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic