icon

alternator, battery, or cap

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 9:03 PM / IP Logged  
Except they do not recommend the Reds for winches they will not even warranty them if they were used for that. But the yellows they will http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products / YELLOWtop/index.php
I have never had any real problems with them and the one I did they Autozone gave me a brand new one.
What do you recommend? If my Optima fails I need a sealed battery, so when I dump my Jeep on its side I don't have to worry about the battery.
Its also good info for the guy who started this thread.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 10, 2011 at 9:46 PM / IP Logged  
I might be confusing my reds, blues & yellows (blue = marine; red = cranking; yellow = crank/deep compromise etc deep?)
But winches (like BIG audio) are a problem - they are often used to a great DOD (depth of discharge) but also have a very high current - so which battery type do you chose? Cranking is clear - high current but short discharge.
Locally I'd probably choose Deka (based on my batt shop's recommendations) though I'd be very keen to try a Yuasa UXH UPS battery - the UXH100-12 (100AH 12V) is ~$500 which is $50 less than the Optima yellow RRP (~70AH). (It's also $150 less then the 38AH UXH38-12 I am currently using as a cranker!)
I used to think highly of Odyssey (as I once did Optima) though my shop also reckoned no (like Optima, too many returns).
Stateside many recommended Kinetic, though I recently read good things about one of the "Platinums".
Alas whether this is good info is questionable. We know nothing of the OP's desires.
And too much info confuses may. (And some may be mere opinion...)
But yeah, other than maybe NOT addressing the OP's issue/s, I generally like extra info and POVs (but not deliberate scams etc!!).
fags4508 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2011 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
tutype wrote:

i'm getting different information from each installation person I speak to. I would like to know what actually determines if I will need second alternator, or higher output, additional battery, capacitor or all of the forementioned. I have a 2000 blazer 4X4 with an alpine hu and three amps: 2 memphis sc16-sc2.120 for front(components 70 RMS) and rear door speaks (65 RMS) plus, JL Audio, JL J2 1000.1 for the sub (Kenwood KFC-XW 1225db).

Thanks in advance,

-TuType

do not use caps they are very dangerous they blow up an its not a lil thing it can blow stuff to pieces
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 11, 2011 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged  
Rubbish.
Or rather, it's as much rubbish as saying "do not use petrol/gas or batteries" etc because they too blow things to pieces.
A battery is equivalent to millions of Farads.
Ever seen a battery blow up or an AGM go into thermal runaway?
I know of far more battery injuries than I do cap injuries.   
However, caps are usually a waste of money, their main use being to protect AGMs else remove lighting etc sags without the complications of another battery (even if that battery only costs $10).
But as a means of extending power... Like I said, a battery is millions of Farads.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic