icon

no sound from amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jgonzales82 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM / IP Logged  
huh i never thought of that ill have to check tomorrow go to work! hopefully that'll be the problem
jgonzales82 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
jgonzales82 wrote:
huh i never thought of that ill have to check tomorrow when i get to work! hopefully that'll be the problem
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 12, 2011 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

Are you sure you do not have the voice coils of the woofer wired out of phase?

jgonzales82 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2011 at 11:54 PM / IP Logged  
okay well i checked the fuse and it looked burnt and melted a little bit so i swapped  it out  with a new one but still got no sound! As far as the sub being wired outta phase i checked that and it is fine. i also got a chance to hook up a rockford fostgate amp up and that doesn't work either. I think im just going to buy a brand new install kit and see if that will work.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2011 at 12:03 PM / IP Logged  

ok, you said you changed the fuse but did you check the voltage across the fuse and fuse holder? you said it looked burnt so there is a chance that your fuse holder could be bad and causing a bad connection. without testing for the proper voltage on both sides of the fuse holder there is really no way to know is it is or isnt the problem.

also it could be your RCA's, just because they arent pinched doesnt mean they are good. they could have been pulled and stretched to the point where the small wires inside are broken and its hard to tell just by looking at them. if you can before you buy a whole new amp kit just run a temporary rca from the radio to the amp just to make sure thats not your problem.

and check your ground for the amp, sometimes things come loose without realizing it during an install.

and i just thought of something, you did unhook the original JL 12's right? you didnt just add an mtx 8500 on top of the two 12's and hook it all up to the same amp, right?

jgonzales82 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 14, 2011 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
yeah i swapped out the fuse holder with a new one and i checked the voltage and it was fine. yeah i took the jl's out and put the mtx in. also i think im going to just move my amp and put it underneath the driver's seat. Its got to be the rca's that are bad.
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
corrysmtx 
Copper - Posts: 59
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2011 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
Let me get this straight, you want to hook up 2 mtx 8500s to a mtx 8302? Your fuse looks melted, what size fuse are you using 150a in 10g wire? Those 8500s are massive woofers, second largest series they make. and you want to push them with a 75x2 rated amplifier. Start with the proper equipment, follow up with a proper installer. Could be the difference between a nice system and a burning car.
1 12" mtx 9500 4ohm dvc 1 8100d and 1 1501d almost loud enough to cover the sounds of my car dying.
jgonzales82 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2011 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
okay its only 1 mtx 8500 and i have the amp bridged and it should be pushing out 425 watts plus from what mtx service rep told me over the phone! And the problem was fixed it was the rca cables that where bad. i bought some monster cable rca's that were on sale and relocated the amp underneath my drivers seat. So shes back up and hits hard for what i want for now thanks guys for your help.
And for installers here in our town we have 2 but they are overpriced and their installers are mostly high school kids that really don't know much and just work there for the discount on car audio.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic