can i use a key fob for my 65 bug?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
az65calbug 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2011 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

Hey everyone,

Been on this site for years but never used the forums that I can remember. I had this weird thought in my head and I wanted to see if I can do this. I haven't seen it done and I'd think it would be a cool feature.

I'm building a 65 VW bug for myself. Doing all the body/paint/engine work myself. I got it pretty much ready for paint.

I am going to rewire the entire car. I have pulled out ALL the wiring it had in it.

My question is this..

Would it be possible to use say a 2011 VW Jetta key fob and install it in my 65 bug?  Where the key for the bug goes now, I would install the key slot where the fob would go and also install a START/STOP button also from the car.

I believe the key fob has a chip in it that will prevent the car from being started if it's not the correct one. I would assume I could bypass that part of it, just turn to ON and still have the circuit be made somehow?

Also, I would really love to be able to use the unlock/lock feature on this. I understand I'd be installing the actuators and such in the door.. but I bet I wouldn't be able to use the factor fob without its computer or what not... 

Does anyone know if this is possible?  can I take the remote keyless out of a say wrecked Jetta and wire it to my car? Or do I need the entire computer system for that?!

Thanks for any input/ideas.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2011 at 4:32 PM / IP Logged  
The headaches and cost just aren't worth it, you will need processors/engine management units at about $1000 each, a CAN data system, forget it.
Easier to install an R/S system with an ignition on/off switch that takes over from the R/S.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 30, 2011 at 7:45 AM / IP Logged  
I'm thinking the same as Howie: nothing is impossible, but it's probably not worth it.
You are right about the transponder chip in the key---you could probably just skip that part of it.
If you were to take apart a donor Jetta, you'd find that it has a traditional ignition switch just like any other car, with heavy-gauge on/off wires coming out of it.
Then, separately around the keyhole, is a "ring" that's a receiver for the transponder. You could eliminate that part (either throw it away, or leave it in there but unplugged, whichever looks better), and then put the regular ignition switch in and use it.
The keyless would be the harder part.
Most modern cars no longer have a separate keyless entry; it's part of the car's computer system.
For example, my 1996 Buick Roadmaster wagon has a dedicated keyless entry unit behind the panels in the cargo area. I could theoretically remove it from the car, get a GM wiring schematic, figure it all out, and install it in another car and use my GM remotes.
But the newer cars are different. Just for an example, the 2003-2007 Accord actually uses the driver's-door power window switch as its keyless receiver, and then sends lock/unlock/trunk/panic info into the car's main body computer (which is part of the fuse box) by data........
I suppose it would be possible to take the Honda fuse box, Honda window switch, all associated wiring, and try to stuff all that somewhere into another car.... but it'd probably be a week-long project, with no guarantee of success.
If you're really serious, your fist step would be do thoroughly examine the electrical diagram for the donor car you're considering, and then go from there. Either find a friend at VW dealer, or pay a few bucks at www.alldatadiy.com
I'm not sure if you're set on all-VW parts for your Beetle, but a favorite of car-customizers are the 1980s-era GM tilt steering columns. You'd have your turn signals, wipers, and maybe cruise control right on the turn-signal stalk, tilt steering if you want it, telescoping steering wheel (if you get it from a Cadillac), and a semi-modern ignition lock with probably more security than the original Beetle dash switch.
You could get one of those columns from a junkyard, but there are also companies that make them in billet aluminum or maybe stainless steel too.
If you just want something that's a little different, maybe you could find an aftermarket system with plain-looking remotes and then pay someone to silk-screen the VW logo on them, or have some small stickers made.
By the way, again if you really have unlimited time and/or money, I remember someone telling me about a kit car made to use the entire drivetrain from a Subaru Forester. That is, you'd put the kit car together, then find a totalled Forester and transfer the engine, transmission, suspension, 4x4 stuff, and wiring and computer over into the kit car.....I'm not sure if the OEM Subaru keyless would still do anything, but it's a possibility. Maybe someone makes some similar setup for Beetles, who knows?
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2011 at 7:55 AM / IP Logged  
To take this a stage further, a customer is rebuilding a late 60s Shelby Cobra (I wonder how many of these ever made it to the UK?).
I'll be doing the wiring and adding power locks, trunk release and windows but I insisted on a US made replacement ignition, starter and HVAC looms.
Heck I've had enough problems trying to rebuild his 92 302 clutch switch!
az65calbug 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2011 at 8:10 AM / IP Logged  

Yeah sounds like a little more than what I wanted to do. I mean if I had the time, which I do really, but the cash to do it.. I would.. but it's not going to be a "SHOW SHOW" car. Only a really really nice car that should win shows.  Nothing like the Riddler! :)

I just figured I'd try to add a little something something to the VW bug and make it a little different than what I've seen. Wanted to keep it all VW too.

The 2442cc motor and 5 speed transmission make it fast. But wanted to go the extra mile.

maybe just do aftermarket keyless and a nightvision automatic headlight unit.. go from there..

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2011 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  
If you install an R/S though I expect a combi with security would better in your case, just need an on/off switch, and use an immobilising relay before it such that it only works via the R/S you won't need a starter switch and the on/off switch will give you normal takeover, just flick the on off switch to shutdown the engine.
Heck you could even use the aux outputs to control your lights!
afridihamid 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: December 01, 2011 at 5:12 PM / IP Logged  
Since you don't really care about using the RFID (chip key) system, I would try to custom fit the internals from an aftermarket alarm remote into the Jetta key fob. It would be much easier than having to research the factory keyless system from the Jetta.
Also, you might be interested in this link:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1289340761
Check out the guy's blog. He is using an Arduino micro controller to add a whole bunch of electronic stuff to his 1968 VW Beetle project (such as RFID key, gps, bluetooth...).
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 02, 2011 at 5:05 AM / IP Logged  
You're spending money to no purpose, I told you what to do in an earlier post!
I can give you a block diagram using R/S with switches to eliminate the key completely and at far less cost!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic